1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Better Call Saul Season 5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 25, 2020.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

What did i miss as far as why they didnt take Mikes truck? Or go back for it when the esteem died? Too far to go back?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The gas tank got shot during the brief firefight with the bandit who escaped. They showed the fuel dripping out of it. The Esteem also died because it took a bullet during the battle.
    I was wondering why they didn't try to lure the guy in the red truck out, kill him, and then take that truck. I guess he was just going to run over Saul and not stop so they didn't have a choice, but trying to get him out of the truck would have seemed a smarter plan.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Speaking of vehicles, did anyone else notice that the car they were cleaning the blood out of in the opening looked an awful lot like Saul's Cadillac from Breaking Bad?

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

thought the same thing, thought Mike was going to head shot the driver and theyd take the car. I think ive been playing too many video games.

i think theres something they could’ve done cinematically or via a sound to linger on the space blanket longer. I think seeing a space blanket triggered all Jimmys chuck-ness and spurred him to wake up. But I’m not sure I’m not imagining/projecting that

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I figured it was Mike right away. It seemed like something he would have thought of and would do, plus I had no idea who else it could be. I absolutely thought the plan was to get the driver out of the truck so they could take it.

I think if they had done any more with the space blanket it would have been heavy handed. The shot of the abandoned blanket came close to that line, for me.

I love the cinematography each week, even when I don’t particularly care about the story lines. It was amazing this episode.

poindexter and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

To me this show has gotten progressively better with each season. I thought season one was very uneven—the best part might have been the standalone episode devoted to Mike's backstory. But it has continued to elevate from there.

While it seems most likely that Kim Wexler buys it either this season or next—Mike declaring that "she's in the game" is not promising—I hold out some hope that Kim somehow is the one to come save Saul from the Cinnabon.

That would be especially romantic happening on this show, of all shows.

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The tension in this one was incredible. Really felt like some of the best Breaking Bad episodes. Felt like a mirror to the BB episode when they RV broke down while they were cooking in the desert.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Almost through this ep for the second time, and I didn't even think of the space blanket until reading above. Just reason No. 9,412 why BB/SCS is superior television.

rb

Batman and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This felt like the Better Call Saul version of "Pine Barrens" from The Sopranos. Only better.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I like it.
    One question: the preview for next week showed Saul walking into the courthouse with the two sacks of money and plopping them down on the counter to post the $7 mill bail. What judge on earth is going to accept $7 mill in cash for bail on first-degree murder charges? And isn't the $7 mill a cash a dead giveaway that the accused is 1. dealing in some kind of illegal activity and 2. a flight risk?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They covered how he got bail in the previous episode. Jimmy pulled some shenanigans (using Mike's previous efforts) to introduce a sliver of reasonable doubt and get the "no bail" ruling changed to an amount the judge probably figured was insanely high enough that it had the same effect. The severity of the charges and the flight risk issue were addressed during that hearing.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I saw all of that. I get why the guy got bail. But in real life, is a judge going to let a defendant post $7 million in cash and not have any questions about where it came from?

Draft saved Draft deleted