1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Struggling with the whole coronavirus situation? Or something else?

Take time for yourself; take care of yourself.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

In order to care for those you love, you need to take care of yourself. Take whatever mental health time you need to.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hang in there, my friends.

We'll get through it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The C19 stuff.

I think I've compartmentalized it too much. I haven't let myself feel much. I've just been focused on getting X, Y or Z done. It finally bubbled over.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think that's unusual for any of us -- or in any way wrong.

It's impossible, I think, for anyone to go through this without feeling any frustration, anxiety, anger or fear. There's no certainty. I have no freaking idea how our governments -- who have handled this poorly in both Canada and the USA -- are going to handle the fact society won't be able to quarantine itself until a vaccine is ready. And I suspect they have no idea, either.

So, if you feel overwhelmed, you should see it as a normal expression in these times. Not anything that should make you feel weak or not up to the challenge

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I get to leave the house today! I get to leave the house today!

Unavoidable work chore at our client site, and I should be annoyed. ... but I won't lie: The thought of driving the 30 minutes to work and seeing the world has me a little excited!

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Here’s a metaphor that dawned on me early this morning while I was fixing PowerPoint presentations for a group that knows even less about PowerPoint than I do (Working from home sometimes means you never really leave.).

COVID-19 reminds me of a perverse reverse lottery or raffle that you don’t want to “win.”

We all have tickets, and we buy more by being older, having pre-existing health conditions, being in situations where we are repeatedly exposed to the virus, etc. Whether we have few or many tickets is no guarantee of death or survival, once exposed to the virus. It seems to be a bit of a crap shoot of misfortune.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm still doing that. I tend to compartmentalize everything, so it comes naturally. If we think about it too much, it gets overwhelming. I don't want to sit here thinking about how people who were younger and healthier than I am have died from this thing, especially knowing some of my neighbors have it right now. Focusing on getting X, Y and Z done and staying safe while doing them is pretty much all we can do. That doesn't mean we aren't going to have moments that it slaps us in the face. It just means we try not to get lost in them.

Venting here seems to help for me. I hope it is helping for you, too.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The Lottery - Wikipedia

Loved this story in high school

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. I have thought about it. I'm not in the over-60 age group, but I do have asthma. I've been as careful as I can be, and that means things like getting more sleep just as much as it means staying home. I can sit here and try to figure out what might happen if/when I get it, but there is no way to know.

I can't say I love the ridiculously-high pollen counts around here this week. Just what I needed to add to the paranoia, a cough and a sore throat.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For me, a long early morning walk has really helped. I get up, have a cup of coffee and deal only with any work emergencies. No surfing Twitter, personal e-mail or even sj.com. I throw my AirPods in and listen to podcasts which have nothing to do with current events. My town is quiet and I do about a 4 mile loop. Once I get back home, I get ready like it is a regular work day, except after I shower/shave, I get dressed in casual clothes and not a suit.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Shit, shower, shave

Get it right.

Draft saved Draft deleted