1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Let’s see how this plays out, but I look at this like war. I’m also perfectly fine being no contact and only necessities until June. But at some point we have to meet the enemy and start to slowly go back outside.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've got a couple of kilts from these guys. If you don't sew or if you want to flash some style as you mask, you can get a mask in a random tartan for $8.50, or name your custom tartan for $12.00. I'm getting one in Black Watch.

Clans & Tartans

Tartan Facemask

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I was supposed to inherit my dad's car. Brothers all agreed. Purchased a one-way flight to Tennessee and was going to drive the car back home. But step-mother --- who doesn't even fucking drive and hasn't for years --- pitched a fit about it and accused us of trying to "steal" it from her. Money sure does tell you a lot about people.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Inheritance money tells the most and never ever tells a good story.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Very true. I/my family was fortunate after the deaths of my sister and her family. Things were spelled out in large degree, but of course, not everything. But we adjusted and got through it.

This past month .... whoa boy. Some sleepless night and head-scratching after this pandemic exploded. Some asks were made and some put up fierce resistance and I was like, WTF.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I had an aunt die a few years back. She had no kids. On that side of the family, there are three nieces/nephews.
    After the aunt's burial insurance, there was a little left over that was supposed to be divided between the three of us.
    It came down to less than $500 each. It all went to the oldest of us with the understanding she'd split it up.
    She always had an excuse of not having her checkbook, yada, yada, yada.
    She ripped off me and her own brother, but whatever.
    My pride and integrity are worth far more to me than to worry about it.

8. Neutral Corner

There is nothing like a death in the family to reveal people's inner selves.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wish I could say I hadn't seen worse, but I have. My father's second wife made sure she kept everything, even smaller items members of the family wanted for purely sentimental reasons. For years, I listened to my older brother rant about it. Not that we weren't all pissed, but he never stopped.

Then he did even worse after our mom died and named him executor of her estate. Never, ever underestimate the human capacity for selfishness. Of course, we are getting daily reminders of it during the current crisis as well.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I’m really fucking struggling tonight. I went for a Zwift ride tonight and started tearing up halfway through. I’m trying to be the rock for the family, but it’s getting more difficult each week.

11. Neutral Corner

It's ok to be overwhelmed. It's ok to feel weak and uncertain. Lord knows I do.

We're all of us trying to live our lives in time of the sort of threat we never seriously thought would happen. I walk around knowing that any random decision I make might mean that I cross paths with the virus and I bring it home. That's a lot. So be weak. Cry a little. Go take a nap, or a drink, or a walk. Breathe.

Tomorrow's going to come, and we'll pick up our various burdens and do it all again, and that will be all right too.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Agreed. So far, evidence suggests I got a pretty good roll on the family dice. Long may it continue.

Draft saved Draft deleted