1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reading reviews of the show, I've been surprised at how much people hated the Orton-Edge match. It's being widely panned as too long and too boring. I thought it was pretty good. I liked how they flowed through the building and used all of the elements in a given area in some creative ways, and the finish was fitting for the story they were telling with their feud. I'm not getting the hate for it.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Why would he at this point? He already gets $$$$ for doing 2 moves twice a year. He has no incentive to learn how to work at age 53.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I get that he's going to get away with doing the bare minimum and that the E is going to ride his two moves as long as it can. But his matches are just coming off as very awkward.

Do some shoulderblocks in the corner. Learn to throw a clothesline that won't knock your opponent's teeth out. Learn to safely headbutt something besides a door. I'm not looking for the guy to become Dean Malenko here, but try to throw one or two extra things in to make the match go longer than 90 seconds.

Batman likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Going through the building, telling the story was fine and the finish was excellent. They just needed to cut off about 5-10 minutes to make it flow better.

Also going around the Twittersphere, there's been some criticism for the spot in the gym where Orton hung Edge as too reminiscent of Benoit's death. It kinda crossed my mind when I saw them do that, and it looks like I'm not the only one. I'm wondering if they cut that spot out in future airings.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

same. I liked it. Maybe they could’ve cut out like 5 minutes somewhere, maybe skip one location that Gargano and Ciampa had already done, but thats icing on the cake, overall it was really good

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or really twist things up and learn one submission move. As an admittedly aging wrestler, it'd make sense to have a way to beat someone that doesn't rely on brute force. Hell, even Lesnar still breaks out the Kimura Lock once in a while.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Started watching The Big Show Show on Netflix. It's total Full House-level cheese, but Show is a great loveable goof. And his buddy in the show is Urkel.

And Foley, Mark Henry and Rikishi doing they're best at being the second coming of Three Count? That made the whole series.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. nietsroob17

Last night, Aleister Black essentially squashed Bobby Lashley, one of the biggest guys on the roster. Tonight, he's gone to a fourth segment with Apollo Crews?!?

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. nietsroob17

Gotta love synergy! Big Show premiers his new show, does a heel turn for the 1,347,749th time and threatens Drew?

Oh, god. He's going to beat him, isn't he?

10. nietsroob17

Umm ... OK?

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

that was uhhhh

i think i wouldve enjoyed raw more if they just ran the boneyard match in its entirety 6 consecutive times

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I think today’s edition of “Being The Elite” — the Young Bucks’ vlog series onYouTube — featured better wrestling than Raw last night.

Not sure if they’ve had actual matches on BTE before, but the Jackson brothers had a ring set up on their tennis court and held a couple of tag matches there. Good return match for the Bucks, also a good SoCal Uncensored match.

And then there was a bunch of the usual chicanery. The Kenny Omega-Colt Cabana rivalry is hilarious. The rest of the chicanery was meh.

Draft saved Draft deleted