1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry. We had a similar episode today when my teenage daughter heard that school was canceled for the rest of the semester. She was having an exceptional freshman year, getting ready for track season, etc. The finality of it was hard to take even though we all knew it was coming.

OscarMadison and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Just fantastic, NBA Hardwood Classics in NBATV, GM 7 2005 SA v DET, 64-61 7 mins left....IN 4TH!!! Awful basketball.

HanSenSE and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

USC-Texas Rose Bowl is on ESPN. Much better game.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope she has an even better sophomore year.

OscarMadison and playthrough like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Keith Jackson's last game. The Rose Bowl with a 5 p.m. kickoff. Sucked.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This whole episode began during our son’s spring break from high school. I though at the time that it was a pretty raw deal to not be able to see his friends or go anywhere. Then, school was delayed and then canceled for some sort of hastily arranged online substitute. Then, his graduation ceremony was put off indefinitely. Then the competitive arts camp he earned a spot in was canceled. The latest blow was the announcement today that Carnegie Hall had been shuttered and the trip with the state youth orchestra to play there is canceled or delayed until next summer, the summer after his freshman year in college (if college happens). He’s holding up pretty well, but today’s news was a brutal slap of what has become reality.

What sucks for me is that I have to buck up and try not to become a big negative baby about day-to-day life. So, when I begin to feel a bit down, I have to remember one of my important roles: to try to be a calm place in this torrent of change. That’s not really my nature.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mostly adapting to constantly changing situations at work and at home. We've got screens in front of the register area and signs on the floor reminding customers to social distance, but it's a battle to keep reminding folks. We've been asking customers to bag their own if they bring bags in, but starting tomorrow, no customer bags. Also starting to limit the number of people in the store at a given time. And the union negotiated $2/ hr raises for us. Officially it's called appreciation pay, but I call it combat pay.

Home, it's a little different. My mother had been feeling some weakness, which her doctor thought was Bell's palsy. But after a few weeks, she got an MRI and it turned out to be a mini-stroke. Seems fine, tires easy though and, of course, has found a new PCP. Had a consultation with the new doc and cardiologist via phone.

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Take care of yourself, too, HanSenSe. I'm glad your employer is taking some measures to try to keep y'all safe. Taking care of elderly family members has its challenges under the best circumstances.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hang in there, everyone.

We'll get through it.

lakefront, OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am an old. But I'm 70, and now I'm getting a hint of what daily life will be like if I'm lucky enough to see 90. Wake up every morning and before leaving the bed check for every possible symptom of the virus I've read about on the Internet. None detected? Head for the john and start the daily routine of nothing followed by more nothing. The boredom/anxiety mixture, which I know everyone has, is about as toxic a mental cocktail as can be imagined.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, but no. This is stupid on many levels. Every exposure is a risk. Limiting the exposure does matter. It is amazing how many idiots like you want to put their own ideas ahead of the medical professionals.

TigerVols and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny. I saw the opposite at CVS yesterday. Some guy didn't just go the other way to avoid people, he ran.

Draft saved Draft deleted