1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett announces furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That $1,200 Trump check will offset that furlough week.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Now do the other 2 furlough weeks.

Tweener likes this.
  3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

It might cover all three depending on how much you make, and what percentage your state's unemployment pays out. It's about 60 percent after taxes here.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Excellent post. The goal of the newspaper is to make sure the CEO is well-fed/well traveled/well-hobbied, not to pay reporters a good, fair wage.

5. Fredrick

Excellent points, solo.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Frederick will get a week a month where he won't have to work 60 and get paid for 40!!

HanSenSE and SFIND like this.
  7. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

CEOs and big wigs wanting to get the word out about them giving up 10 percent of their salaries during this time when any reporter making over $38k is being furloughed haha. They could give up 25 percent still live comfy and no one would need to be furloughed. The higher-ups have overseen a stock that has went down to nearly a buck. They have no fucking clue what's going on. They shouldn't be getting paid nearly what they make when reporters are getting chump change.

What a joke Gannett is. Yeah like 40k in MKE, Cincy, etc. is enough for reporters to get by. The higher-ups should be ashamed.

8. cubman

cubman Member

Yes to all of the above. I actually feel more on top of things than I have in quite a while.
    At my weekly, we've basically entered summer mode, which is 4-5 stories a week between trend stories and features on local athletes.
    And every single reporter at my place, at least in sports, makes well north of 38K. Of course, most of them have been on staff for at least 15 years. I'm 42 and the "baby" of the staff despite having been in the business for 20 years and at my current job for most of the past nine years.

9. GAWalker

GAWalker Member

Stock is hovering around $1 per share, as low as .98 cents at points today...

10. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on what market you are in. At my shop, none of the reporters are making $38K and at least one editor is below that.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

None of these numbers are by accident or whim.

In McClatchy's most recent round of pub center slashing, they basically created two pay levels.

If your new pay level was a reduction of 20 percent or more from your previous salary, you received a bonus equal to what would have been one-half of your severance pay.

Guess whose pay reduction came in at a tidy 19.1 percent?

12. Fredrick

Think of the non sequitirs. All the great stories being written about corona in communties. The excellent copy. Meanwhile, same company, at the top, some guy or gal scheming how he/she can benefit from all this monetarily. How he/she can add to their toy collection of cars, boats, vacation homes, etc.

cubman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted