1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adaptation to COVID world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Mar 20, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And wash your hands.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I'm wondering why my doctor's appointment next week hasn't been canceled yet. The doctor has to travel to the office, as do I. But I've been waiting months, so I have to decide if it's an acceptable risk.

Did you breathe -- literally, that's all it takes -- without wearing a mask? Did the people around you? Did you touch anything anyone else had touched, including cash at the bank or groceries at the supermarket?

Then you might have a virus. Or you might have spread it to someone else.

That's the whole point of the stay at home ordinances.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They allow exactly ONE patient in the office at a time. There is a chiropractor and his assistant and no one else.

My chances of catching and/or spreading the virus at the local grocer --- with about 150 people in the store --- are far greater than at the chiropractor.

If you don't shut it ALL down --- which you can't, of course--- then you might as well leave all businesses open (with as many precautions as possible).

Heck, even my wife's store allows only 10 people in the building at one time --- including the employees! You could find 500 people at the grocery or the Walmart or Costco because there's no mechanism to prevent it.

You could go to two dozen "non-essential" businesses and not be around as many people as one trip to an "essential" business.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

More than a week ago, I was slicing potatoes for supper, and laid the end of my index finger open all the way back to about a quarter inch into the nail.
    I knew there was no point in going to the ER despite my wife saying I needed a couple of stitches.
    Fortunately, I have a high pain tolerance.
    I've just kept it clean, glued together, and bandaged. The first several days using my birdie finger in place of it were a pain, but I've prevailed.
    Assuming I live through this, I'll have a cool coronavirus scar to remind me of these days, and my fingerprints will no longer match my record!

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That really sucks. My parents had to wait a couple of weeks to meet my son (for other reasons I won't bore the board with) and they were out of their minds about it. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you. I'm sorry you have to miss this time with her.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Plan a bank robbery for Christmas! Pick a cute accomplice! It's a Hallmark Special!!!

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

You'll never catch me, coppers!

OscarMadison and doctorquant like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ran to get paper towels and groceries at Target. Five people - half the shoppers I saw - had on cloth surgical masks. Two of them got up in my space in the cereal aisle. I turned and said “Six feet please” and got a dirty look.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Accompany the "Six feet please" with a smothered cough. They'll move.

lakefront and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

A folded tissue over the bridge of my nose under the mask has done the trick. No fogging of the glasses.

It was a beautiful day here. We took a long walk along the East River. I’d say more than 50 percent of everyone out was wearing a mask, including us. Most everyone kept a big distance apart.

Lots of anxiety mixed with depression, frustration and boredom. Trying to keep everything in perspective. So many are in way worse position than we are.

Gonna be a long haul. Still feels like the bottom of the first inning.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A wet fart is just as effective ... I’m told.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At the rate this analogy is going, the seventh-inning stretch will be coming around 2028.

Draft saved Draft deleted