1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Muh Muh Muh My Corona (virus)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twirling Time, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Virginia's order was in direct response to photos circulating of packed beaches and parks over the weekend. Northam referenced as much during his presser yesterday. When I drove back from the Eastern Shore Saturday and saw how packed the beach was on the Virginia Beach side, I knew that the SiP was coming on Monday. People can't help themselves. And I'm getting the feeling that this order will allow local law enforcement to get a lot more frisky in actually enforcing the mandate.

I've stayed home other than trips to the grocery store, trips to local restaurants for takeout and trips outside to bike and walk. I definitely can tell that the guidelines are taking hold. Biking through downtown Richmond at 5 p.m. on a Monday, the place was an absolute ghost town. Weird.

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

One of America's greatest strengths as part of our national psyche is the idea of rejecting authority. Unfortunately, it's also proving to be one of our greatest weaknesses when that same authority keeps sending out confusing or misleading messages. "You're going to die or kill someone else" is apparently not enough to stop people from doing whatever they want to do. It's maddening for those of us who really would like to make it through this without losing our parents, spouses or ourselves.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You first, jackass.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

You also have nine sets of facts floating around according to some of these dopes.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And you have the far right jackasses like Bill Mitchell and Candace Owens and Charlie Kirk .... WE know they are all conspiracy theory spouting fuckheads, but they have huge followings on social media, and people are eating up their bullshit. There are people out there who continue to spout the crap that they say like it's fact. Mitchell's big one yesterday was that he didn't believe any hospitals were overrun and that it was a total media overreaction meant to ruin Trump. It's dangerous.

Webster and Smallpotatoes like this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

But then you have Lizzo, who bought lunch for the Henry Ford ER

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The pandemic is revealing just how threadbare our nation's systems really are. One branch of our vaunted military lacks resources and imagination to deal with a wholly predictable problem. I know it's hard to build a hospital on Guam, but it never occurred to anyone at the Pentagon that a warship is like a cruise ship for young people?

maumann likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How long until the whackadoos say Chris Cuomo is faking having Covid-19 to make his brother look good and Trump look worse?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There is rejecting authority, as @maumann said. And there is rejecting knowledge and reason.

There are compelling reasons why maybe the countrywide lockdown may not be the right thing to be doing. As somone I heard being interviewed put it, if everyone drove 25 miles per hour on the Interstate, we could probably do away with 10,000 deaths a year. Would it make sense to most people, though? And if we did do that and someone else didn't agree, would a mob of people accuse that person of choosing highways over lives?

FWIW, I am not necessarily making that argument. It's more than I am at least a little sympathetic to it. It's at least worth thinking about it. If you have an opinion about how we should be dealing with the virus, including putting restrictions on other people, it should at least be an informed opinion. What are the tradeoffs to what you think everyone should be doing? ...

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Great. Every pregnant woman can now say that when she goes to have an abortion.

Do these fuckwads even have a clue what the hell they are saying?

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted