1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to Declare Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Nov 14, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Excellent. Thank you.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You’re not surprised, are you? Most chains are like that. It sucks.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This bothers me. All restaurants and businesses are shuttered down because of the "no more than 10" are allowed in a place at one time rule. Meanwhile, newspapers behind closed doors are not making sure employees stay home. What's the difference between a fricking bakery and a newspaper building?? Yet ALL businesses are closed INSIDE. Newspapers not cooperating?

4. InTheKnow22

InTheKnow22 New Member

We had our first night working from home designing the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette last night. We were able to take our 27-inch design macs home with us all set up to work remotely. We replaced in-office communication with messages on Slack. We had very few hiccups, and we weren't fighting deadline. It looks as if this is going to work indefinitely, perhaps months.

I Should Coco and sgreenwell like this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The last paper I was at, they had the capabilities to do this often, and instead, they made one copy editor drive in 60 minutes a day, and the other 90 minutes a day. They knew the commute when they took the job, but still. Newspapers are usually dragged to new tech kicking and screaming.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Wars often produce great societal changes because people are forced to abandon old customs. Rosie the Riveter is a WWII example of society starting to change its perception about women in the workplace.

I think many people who have been sent home to work are going to stay there when this ends. Particularly in the newspaper industry where the ownership groups are anxious to sell the buildings and pull cash out of the businesses.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And as a PSA for everybody that keeps getting it wrong, this is NOT Rosie:

[​IMG]

THIS is Rosie:

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. I've been doing some freelance work for a McClatchy paper and haven't received my paycheck for work done in February. Today, I received a notice of McClatchy's Chapter 11 bankruptcy case. Does anyone know whether I'll get paid or if I'm going to be a part of the "discharge of debt?"

9. Old Crank

Old Crank Active Member

Unfortunately, you are at the bottom of a very long list.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I think you’re right.

11. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I took home both of my desktops AND a new laptop and used those for the one month I was back in the publishing center (aka my dining room) before I headed for the turnstiles.

12. utilityman

utilityman New Member

I'm in the same free-lance boat with McClatchy. They owe me $1,300 for work filed before Feb. 2 (Super Bowl) that I'll never see.

Draft saved Draft deleted