1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soundtracks. My Rushmore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Mar 18, 2020.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Used to enjoy soundtracks because they allowed you get a bunch of good music from a specific genre or era. American Graffitti, Forrest Gump, Dirty Dancing, The Big Chill, Saturday Night Fever, O Brother Where Art Thou? Tarantino gets a lot of credit for his soundtracks, but Paul Thomas Anderson is right there. Boogie Nights has a really underrated soundtrack.
    And then you have the kind that began in the '80s stacked with singles, Flashdance, Fame, Footloose, (See Dean Pitchford) The Bodyguard, Top Gun.
    Not sure where Broadway/Musicals soundtracks fit in - Grease, Rent, Wicked, Music Man, Guys and Dolls. The Disney stuff.
    Also a fan of the soundtrack to Gettysburg and Hoosiers. Pure Country is George Strait's biggest selling album.
    And you have to talk about Adam Schlesinger's work on That Thing You Do! The song is the key to the entire movie and it still works. The album was entirely composed of original material to mimic the era - Tom Hanks even wrote a couple of them.
    Schlesinger's other credits include "the song" for Music and Lyrics, and Colbert's Christmas.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Danny Elfman's soundtrack for Batman is pretty damn good. Very gothicky and atmospheric. It's obviously all one artist, though.
    There was a Batman: The Ride rollercoaster at Six Flags when I worked there as a teenager. You started by walking through a park in the first part of the queue, went to a hellish cityscape for the second part, and then got into the Batcave for the final part. They had no music or maybe soft twinkly stuff in the park, the Prince soundtrack playing in the second part, and Elfman's theme music right before you got on the ride. Always felt like I was ready to kick some ass when I heard the Elfman theme playing.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Elfman is a magician when you think about the movies he's done (not to mention his work with Oingo Boingo).Good Will Hunting, Big Fish etc. Loved Midnight Run's soundtrack. How he hasn't won an Oscar by now considering he's worked on over 100 films (o-4 on the noms) is surprising.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Batman likes this.
  4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Singles
    Trainspotting
    Reservoir Dogs
    Natural Born Killers
    Pulp Fiction
    Pretty in Pink
    Eight Mile

A lot of Saturday Nighr Fever nods. God damn you mofos are old ;)

best one artist soundtrack for me is Into the Wild or maybe Flash Gordon

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great call on That Thing You Do, saw it again maybe a year ago and that song is awesome, like something out of a time machine back to that era. One hell of an accomplishment to come up with that.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Easy Rider (2004 with second disk)

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also wrote The Simpsons' theme song and did Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
    There are several albums he's put out with just his movie music on it.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Silence of the Lambs killed American Girl for me. Not sure if it made it onto the movie soundtrack...

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

What? No votes for "Eddie and the Cruisers?"

Cross-threading: The "Eddie Lives" sequel was truly awful.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Harder They Come
    Singles
    The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou
    Valley Girl

Tweener likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Valley Girl is definitely up there and especially thanks to this song.

Draft saved Draft deleted