1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Dow just passed 2000 points down.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Full On Crash. But trump shot an 18 on Saturday and Sunday. 1st back to back 18s outside of North Korea

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm curious from people who'd know what Trump can do here. I can't imagine much.

4. The Big Ragu

It is self imposed regulation.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

So is this from Corona or did the oil prices just do this?

Is it a little of both or a lot of both?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's both, but probably more the virus than the oil prices. Boom and bust has been the norm for petroleum since it first came into mass use in the 19th century.

7. The Big Ragu

Those are triggers. But they are not causes. What you are seeing right now is excessive leverage and margin starting to unwind. Same with every financial bubble / imbalance created by monetary financial repression. If it plays out (i.e. -- they can't find a way to step in and reflate things to put off the reckoning until another day), you will find out who has been swimming naked.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Maybe his day job instead of golfing, tweeting nonsense and attending fundraisers?

2muchcoffeeman, HanSenSE and UNCGrad like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Things Trump could do. 1. Put doctors and scientists front and center when providing information to the public. 2. Start negotiating with Pelosi over stimulus package. 3. Most important of all, STFU. None of these will happen.

lakefront and HanSenSE like this.
  10. The Big Ragu

BTW, the oil mess at the OPEC meeting was helped along by the virus. The virus has been hitting demand. That puts stress on the producers, which were already seeing demand problems because the global economy has been stagnant, and US shale oil producers have been flooding the market putting pressure on the oil price. All of that stress created the standoff between Russia and Saudi Arabia over what to do. I think Russia just decided that strategically it was time to knock out those US shale oil producers, which are way overleveraged. The cure for $25 oil is going to be. ... $25 oil. It may be an added bonus for Russia that this is likely to negatively affect the US economy as a whole.

11. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I got this some on a Facebook thread over the weekend, this "Well then, smarty, what do YOU think Trump should do?"

You know what, he's the goddamned president. It's not my job to fix the country's response to the virus, to the market, to corruption, to everything else - I'll do my part in the election. He was elected to lead the country. So fucking lead the country. Leaving a cruise ship off shore because he doesn't want U.S. numbers to go up isn't leadership.

Do I know exactly what to do?

Nope.

But he's the president. He ran. He got elected. And when shit goes wrong, it's up to him to lead us out of it.

I have no use for George W. Bush. And we're still paying the consequences of his presidency. But that moment on the rubble at Ground Zero with the bullhorn? He led. He stepped up. Now, again, much of everything after that was a disaster, but in a moment the country most needed him, he rose to the occasion.

Edit: Sorry, Webster, I thought I was quoting Alma AND you, because I agree with you. Didn't want you to think I was directing anything at you.

12. The Big Ragu

They could also call out the plunge protection team. i.e. -- the Working Group on Financial Markets. It's the Treasury Secretary, head of the Fed, Chair of the SEC and head of the CFTC. A lot of conspiracy theories over the years about how they step in and use the NY Fed's trading desk to prop up equity markets with freshly minted electronic currency. They operate in complete secrecy and who knows what they do, or have done in the past? I am sure Trump is agitating for it right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.