1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Henri Richard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The Montreal Canadiens legend has died. Pocket Rocket won 11 Stanley Cups. Broke a lot of Blackhawks' fans hearts.

OscarMadison and misterbc like this.
  2. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

As a 6 year old kid in 1959 Winnipeg I would sneak downstairs and sit on the bottom stair while my Mom and Dad watched CBC’s “Hockey Night in Canada” on Saturdays in our living room. I remember hearing of John Bellybow (Jean Beliveau) and ‘Rishar’ (both Maurice and Henri) so reading of his passing brings back to me a tiny bit of my long ago innocence.
    I saw him play hundreds of games on TV and he and Brad Marchand are somewhat similar players in that they could out skate most players, make plays and turn on a dime. He and Bobby Rousseau ‘ragging’ the puck on the PK wouldn’t be tolerated in today’s NHL, but in the 60 it was really something to watch. Claude Provost, Bobby Hulls shadow, was another top penalty killer for them. My aunt dated Tom Johnson for a while so met him in ‘61 or so.
    From what I understand Rocket didn’t make him feel welcome on the Canadiens early in Henri’s career and actually resented him.
    RIP Pocket.

Liut, garrow and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Ree-char. Corn-why-eh. Le-point. Le-mare. Le-flu-er. Mo-have-al-itch. I had no idea how those names were spelled, but I knew they were really great players for the best team in hockey back in the day when we'd visit Detroit in the winter and my grandfather would have "Hockey Night in Canada" on from Windsor.

RIP Henri.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Until today, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a picture of him without gray hair. That’s a compliment. To me, he was the ancient warrior who propelled his team to victory more on will than talent.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    misterbc, OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A member of the old-line, six-team NHL royalty I was blessed to watch as a 1971-72 Sabres season-ticket holder. Hull, Howe, Orr, Mikita, Richard, Dave Keon, Jacque Laperriere, Bob Baum, Tim Horton, Jean Ratelle, Phil Goyette, to remember just a few.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Jacques Laperriere and Rejean Houle
    My hockey friends would imitate Boom Boom Geoffrion talking about Cournoyer
    “That Yvan, he’s so QUEEK!!!”

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
  8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Calisse! Ta-berr-nac!

maumann likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ragging the puck wouldn’t be tolerated?

Players are far too good of skaters to even allow someone to do that these days. If someone could do it they would.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  10. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be tolerated as in they would be viewed as ‘hot dogs’ and probably be on the wrong end of some treatment by what passes for enforcers or some wide bodied captains like Getzlaf, Benn, Ovie et al.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I had to spend a good deal of time convincing my children Tim Horton was indeed a hockey star and not just a brand name. I bet I'm not alone there.

HanSenSE, cyclingwriter2 and maumann like this.
  12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

No chance, it’s not done because it wouldn’t work. Bobby Orr used to do it, it’s not hot dogging and wouldn’t be viewed as such.

Guys are scoring insane goals these days, through their legs the lacrosse goal, these could be viewed as hotdogging and nothing is done to these players.

Draft saved Draft deleted