1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greeley (Co.) Tribune lays off sports department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You trust the information given you regarding names and facts? Or do you put somebody on it to call and check and recheck names and information on a contributed item?

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I check them out. Of course.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Not to disparage anyone, but I’ve heard from deep cover sources that the way the sports decision unfolded had a lot to do with the people already on staff and their lack of fitness for web/social media parts of the job. So it was easier to create a new position and hire someone more equipped for the task, a “data journalist.”

Acknowledging it could be a tough spot when you have a couple inflexible veterans , I think turning your sports focus entirely to "data journalism" with no or little effort to get out of the office and to games and actual interviews is still monumentally stupid and you’d be far better off hiring a traditional sports writer with good tech skills rather than someone whose sole focus is Twitter/MaxPreps etc.

FWIW The publisher mentioned at the start of this thread is out with this sale, though AFAIK still with the selling company overseeing the other publications based in Greeley (some magazines and whatnot.)

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Otherwise Heywood Jablome would have played on 10 different teams!

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Swift was not too ... swift. MediaNews Group will make Swift seem like salad days.

Years ago, a lot of streamlining made a mess of Loveland and Longmont, the latter trying to be so hyperlocal that nothing else mattered (IMO, a terrible move for a so-called daily publication with access to the Associated Press wire and readers who realize it's a big ol' world out there). Fort Collins was already screwed thanks to Gannett.

This move basically takes care of the Front Range, and not in a good way. Again ... while I'm still saddened that a quality guy like Randy Bangert, the longtime former editor in Greeley, is no longer with us, thank goodness he's not around to see this.

The NYT story was ... interesting. And badly underreported.

MileHigh likes this.
  7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

"Lack of fitness"? What the hell does that mean? They didn't want to tweet every little thing that happened in a game?

This smells more and more like the higher ups wanted to cut loose a bunch of veteran (and higher paid) journalists, and replace them with some kid right out of college (for much cheaper) who will do nothing more that be a "content aggragator" getting results off of MaxPreps (and hoping the coaches from all the teams actually make use of it) :mad:

matt_garth likes this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Forgive me for poor search skills but I could not find the NYT story. Could you please link.

9. Sam Mills 51

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ho Lee Fuk as well.

SportsGuyBCK and maumann like this.
  11. Sam Mills 51

"Lack of fitness" is a complete copout.

Also, much easier to scare the younger ones whereas more experienced journalists aren't coerced into tweeting freaking play-by-play details. After all, much more important to do a half-dozen things - and do all of them poorly - than focus on the task at hand.

And given the way things in Greeley have been addressed lately ...

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted