1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A couple career questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GGBonkers, Dec 27, 2019.

1. GGBonkers

GGBonkers New Member

Just to clarify, I am graduating from college in May. Then I will be a full-time employee. Part-time until then.

I definitely will not sacrifice my degree.

I Should Coco likes this.
  2. Lynn Hoppes

Lynn Hoppes New Member

It really is about who you know more than what you know.

Fredrick likes this.
  3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

To be fair, that’s a good chunk of the job, too.

Tweener likes this.
  4. DSzymborski

DSzymborski Member

And life.

jlee likes this.
  5. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

It’s both. Getting people to put in a good word is the first step. You have to justify their word if you want to keep it.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Offer freelance work and see if you can edge in the door that way. In this present situation, it may require offering a less-than-market rate, since many papers are no longer taking on any freelance work. Still, the best way to force your way in if you want it. When an opening comes up, it gives you the inside track especially if you are supplying them with quality work in a timely fashion.
    That said, don't overwork yourself chasing an entry-level job. If you are able to cover one event each week for a nominal fee, that's enough to help the paper out and show them what you are capable of.

7. Be able to do a lot of things. You can't only be a beat writer or a feature writer or a columnist, you have to be able to do all three, and podcast, and be comfortable on camera, and be good on social media. The more different things you're able to do well, the more valuable you are and the more you'll be able to adapt as the industry changes.

Draft saved Draft deleted