1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When the president attacks our jury’s foreperson, he is effectively attacking every American who takes time off work, arranges child care and otherwise disrupts their life temporarily to participate in this civic duty. His attacks denigrate both our service and the concept of equal justice under U.S. law.”

Good God, the moral posturing.

Casey Anthony’s Jury was full of morons. Sorry if my thoughts bruise the jury enterprise.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If personal political opinions disqualify someone from jury duty, the bedrock principles of citizenship are nullified. Remember the Manafort trial? One of those jurors was a committed MAGA. She said so after the trial and said she went in hoping she'd be able to vote "not guilty" but that the evidence was overwhelming against him. That woman has opinions I abhor, but she is a good citizen.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Some have the theory that any dem will do. And they will turnout in Nov.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The juror’s pledge is that they swear to act impartially with respect to the evidence and arguments presented at trial. She said that she could do that. Trust me, you never get a perfect jury, but the job of his counsel if they don’t think that a juror can be impartial is to demonstrate either that she is incapable of meeting her pledge or to use a peremptory challenge. My understanding is that she was questioned by the judge about any potential bias and that Stone’s defense team didn’t ask the juror any questions or use a peremptory.

Baron Scicluna and lakefront like this.
  6. lakefront

That's nice.

My comment was regarding the harrassment of many people. His habit of doing it to all kinds of citizens. The bleeping potus. So do not water that down.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I’ll happily indict the tactics of Stone’s lawyers while questioning the integrity of a person who isn’t shy about their opinions - which is fine - simultaneously saying they’re certain about the their lack of political bias.

I call them as I see them. Stone’s guilty. The juror shouldn’t have been there. I fail to see an argument for her being there beyond “well, laundry.”

8. lakefront

Maybe it was their strategy. Use her later in the process.

daemon likes this.
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're not the president of the United States, someone who is supposed to perhaps show a little respect for our nation's institutions. Heaven forbid anybody hold the president to any kind of standard.

We're still waiting for you to explain how she showed her bias because we know you don't have it in you to admit it was just an unsupported accusation.

Mr. Sluggo, Inky_Wretch and lakefront like this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

11. Inky_Wretch

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

lakefront and Fred siegle like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

13. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I can’t look into a juror’s heart and know whether they are able to hear a case without bias. And neither can you. If they say that they are able to hear the case impartially, didn’t lie when responding to written or oral questions, the judge believes that there is no inherent bias and his lawyers didn’t demonstrate (or even try to demonstrate) bias, then you take the jury you have.

My wife is about a bleeding heart as there is. She’s served on two criminal juries and even said both times that she is inclined to disbelieve the police. She voted to convict both times based on the evidence in front of her.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Neutral Corner and Smallpotatoes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.