1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I watched the first four seasons, but I didn't finish episode one of the fifth season.

As for British/European shows, I liked The Bodyguard, The Fall (50-something Gillian Anderson is incredibly sexy), Jack Taylor (seasons 1 and 2, especially; 3 had troubles), Ripper Street, and, once in a while, Black Mirror.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Turn the subtitles on. I'm right with you on that.

3. Neutral Corner

I flat loved "The Fall". Throw in "Top of the Lake", another good one.

If you have not seen "Killing Eve", season one is fantastic. Season two slips a bit, but that is largely because the first season is damn near perfect. Both Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer are spot on, Comer in particular. Her ability to morph as Villanelle puts on a cover identity is a great bit of acting.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've been a subtitles guy on most stuff I watch. Sometimes there will be a side conversation or something on in the background that the subtitles will include, but is tough to pickup audibly. Whether its a BBC thing or whatever.

5. Neutral Corner

I only run them when I need them. They take up too much real estate on the screen to have on all the time - but my wife has been known to leave them on for extended periods.

Edit - I don't get the hate for subtitled movies, though. They talk like watching "Parasite" is equivalent to a root canal or something. For christ's sake, it's just reading.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Subtitles are your friend. I couldn't have plowed through The Wire without them.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised how many people have a problem with subtitles and films.

8. DanOregon

The other great thing about subtitles when you're watching TV and someone barges in and starts talking to you or someone else you don't have to stop what you're watching.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

My only problem with subs is that I can’t look away for one second for fear I’ll miss something. But Narcos was so good I didn’t mind.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's gotten mixed reviews I guess but really looking forward to The Hunters.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Dropped last night (a day early). I'd give episode one a 7 out of 10.

12. DanOregon

My three stages of TV watching. Excited about a new show, watch hoping it gets better, figure it will be cancelled anyway so I might as well see it out. Looking at you Stumptown, Deputy and Lincoln Rhyme.

Draft saved Draft deleted