1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dust and Bones is better than all of them

2. CD Boogie

Soundgarden or Alice In Chains?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Then criticize where it fits. "We Didn't Start The Fire," for example. Not exactly Billy's finest. Though I did like "Leningrad," "And So It Goes" and "State of Grace."

Or "An Innocent Man." Pretty obvious that his marriage to Christie affected that one ... as much as "The Nylon Curtain" was about angry Billy.

Or that Columbia/CBS basically did away with his band and had him work with a different group with "River of Dreams."

Those are more justifiable points of contention/criticism. Certainly before going after "Allentown" or "Goodnight Saigon." Or you'll feel like Billy did during "Laura" (another little gem).

4. CD Boogie

I don’t for a second diminish what people in Allentown have experienced. But he seems to me like a weird vessel, unless he had family there. That’s all. Like co-opting a prevailing social issue. Not poo-pooing the particular issue, but well, he didn’t serve in Nam. But he is singing from that POV.

Not trying to be disrespectful, just conveying my sense of the song. Everyone has their own relationship to any songs

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. But, IMO, not having served doesn't automatically mean anyone is being phony, disingenuous or maudlin in taking up for the cause.

As for "Allentown," it was originally titled "Levittown," as in the Long Island locale near where Billy grew up. He read about the decline of the Rust Belt and Bethelem Steel, not to mention it was easier to rhyme and "Allentown" sounded better (not all that convinced of the last reason, FWIW).

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lol on the disregard for Patience.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd or GNR

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority here, but AIC.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For me it was more Chris Cornell be it Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, or Audioslave.

I know the consensus is that Freddie Mercury had the greatest singing voice ever but Chris Cornell, man ...

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Soundgarden. Top to bottom, they were more talented musically (Matt Cameron showed how good he is way more with Soundgarden than he ever has with Pearl Jam), and Cornell puts things over the top. Love AIC, but Soundgarden is on top.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Springsteen in a nutshell?

12. CD Boogie

Maybe to an extent. Yeah, a lot of his stuff just seems like manipulative crap. I've never understood people's obsession with Springsteen.

Draft saved Draft deleted