1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And were ranked 35th nationally, which is pretty good for them. Still, Midnight Mel, as he's been dubbed out here for his middle-of-the-night bolt, was not exactly Mr. Likable, a few folks in Boulder have told me.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The act of "showing proof" is a tricky one that rarely carries all the way through in that unstable world. But the leverage is always there because you're never hiring a coach to be worth the ok money you could give them.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

A Saban acolyte? Not likable? Shocked, SHOCKED I say!

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He’s a better head coach than Mel Tucker.

But I think the guy they want is already there. Chivarini.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Colorado has had what...two winning seasons in the past 14-15 years? And I think the head coaches have been all right. It just isn't as easy of a place to win as it was in the 80s and 90s. And it's on the bottom end of a conference that's fading further into football obscurity. The ceiling for Colorado is probably eight wins and that's with Tucker recruiting about as well as anyone had in years at that school.

Even though Michigan State has probably suffered more in the won-loss column than any other school since the Big Ten realigned the conferences from Legends/Leaders, they did win 10 games two years ago.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how long do you think it will be before they do it again?

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Colorado's only winning season since 2005 was at 10-4 in 2016. It was 6-6 before a bowl loss in 2007

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Ask Miss Cleo.

End of the day no one is winning at Colorado, someone has won at Michigan State. Either stay where you can't win or go to the place where someone has won and take twice as much money doing it. Seems like an easy choice.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't blame him for taking the job. Most people would move if their salary was doubled and the new job was better.

I've seen any number of messy exits by coaches, and this one was in the top five for the general shittiness of how it was handled.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Bill McCartney is the most underrated coach in the history of college football.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Underrated? He is in the College Football Hall of Fame.
    This is an interesting question. Who actually is the most underrated coach ever? I don't know the answer, but I think I know the profile. Has a mediocre to bad overall record because he took on rebuilding jobs; reached greater heights than predecessors or successors; and coached before every game was on TV.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted