1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2019-2020 college hoops thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Georgetown has a patch on their uni, 8 KOBE 24. Trying to figure out the connection between Kobe Bryant and Georgetown University basketball

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When I saw that Clemson was leading Louisville 31-14 at intermission, I wondered if the college football season was too long.

Tarheel316 and sgreenwell like this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

FS1 right now, Colorado-Oregon State. Both coaches are mic'd. Showing/hearing it live is a good insight into the game as well as coaches working/bagering the officials.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

San Diego State is 24-0.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are no other Mountain West teams in the Top 40. Utah St at 42 then Nevada at 89. Is their best win over Iowa in November?

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They beat Creighton by 31 on a neutral court, and Creighton is No. 14 in the NET. That's their best win.

sgreenwell and heyabbott like this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Freezing cold take alert: I'm pretty sure I said something very early in this thread about VCU being a Final Four contender, and holy shit, was I wrong on that team. Their senior class really fell flat this year. I don't think Marcus Evans ever got 100 percent healthy, and he's not a Lewis or Maynor type leader anyway, which is exactly what this that team lacks. Isaac Vann -- there's a reason he was at Maine, one of the shittiest programs in the country. His body language is trash the second something goes wrong. Deriante Jenkins ended up being way more inconsistent than I would have thought.

Santos-Silva is a nice player who is a complete detriment to his team late in games because he can't hit a free throw when it counts. The freshman, Bones Hyland, has been a really nice revelation and you could argue he is the best player on the roster. I'm not sure if Rhoades is a good coach or not. The way this senior class has struggled gives me pause. I also think it will be an addition by subtraction scenario next year losing Evans, Vann and Jenkins.

That said, I'm already seeing all of the HOTTAKES about Dayton from fans who are convinced that the Flyers won't get out of the first weekend because they "haven't played anyone." That team is super legit and has an elite big man/point guard combo in Toppin and Crutcher that can win it a national championship. Toppin was invisible for a half last night and UD still won comfortably at VCU. Sleep on Dayton at your own peril.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm a URI fan, so, we don't see what the big deal about VCU is either. :D Then again, my team is frustrating in its own way, as our season looked fucking over after losing at Brown. After that, I think they ran off 7 or 8 straight wins, before they ran into the Dayton buzzsaw. Toppin is doubly frustrating for us, because I think he chose Dayton over us, and his little brother is on our team. (Good player with a lot of potential as a freshman, but Obi looks like an David West, Jameer Nelson level A-10 player.)

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm fully convinced that Dayton will go to the Final Four, just to further rub salt into the wound that is Archie Miller's Indiana team.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Watched both of those URI-VCU games. No fluke. Rhody beat the shit out of VCU both times. Has Langevine been there since 2004?

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Seems like it! He's one of those guys that has seemingly been posting 12 points and 10 rebounds since his freshman year. Probably too small to play in the NBA, but he'll have a nice, long career in Europe, like Hassan Martin.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Margin was about what I expected. But wrong teams.

If Duke never played another game at the ESA, I'm thinking that would be fine with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted