1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    Take the money. But once you know of the offer and that it intrigues you, don't make public appearances telling your employer's donors that you're with them 100%.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agree with both of you. If you KNOW you're leaving, don't be disingenuous and proclaim your passion and such for your current employer.

Is it possible that Tucker's agent and the folks in East Lansing were finalizing contract details while Tucker was still busy in Colorado? Doesn't defend poor behavior, but could help explain the timeline. Can't walk away until you KNOW details are finalized.

(And no ... I'm not related to Tucker or his agent.)

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If he stayed at Colorado, I don't know if he wins nine games over the next two years.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think it's possible that MSU went to Tucker and said -- here's a contract that's 3, make 3.5 mil per year. He turned them down and then they quickly countered with such a number he couldn't turn it down and it came out of nowhere -- Tucker had to know what Dantonio made per year and had to assume they wouldn't go near that for it and then he's getting a million more than him annually?

It looks bad but I don't think there's anyway if they come to him intially with that offer he turns them down. MSU got desperate, blew him out of the water and he couldn't say no.

5. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Supposedly $aban was in Tucker’s ear too
    Probably told him MSU was a better job in a better conference
    He didn’t handle it well but MSU wouldn’t have gone back to him if they didn’t have an idea they would get him
    Whether that came from $aban or Tucker, who knows
    I also get the impression Dantonio felt Fickell would take the job and sold MSU on that but Fickell changed his mind after talking to his wife, who was concerned, justifiably so, about life in East Lansing

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Are we ever going to get around to discussing the fact that Tucker didn’t really show any proof that he’s worth any of this last season?

exmediahack likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Also, for a while he had the advantage of the old "Leaders and Legends" divisions, where MSU and UM were in with teams from the western part of the Big 10.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That would be a very uninspiring hire.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Tucker had demonstrated that he was a pretty good recruiter. The Buffs normally have about the 10th best recruiting class in the Pac 12 and this year they were more middle of the pack.

Draft saved Draft deleted