1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Climate Change? Nahhh ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Oct 23, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It was 7 degrees this morning. It's supposed to be in the 50s on Sunday and Monday.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like Denver. It's been cold and snowy all February. Sunny and low 50s today, though this is not unusual. Actually, par for the course.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The Mississippi River is bound to start flooding pretty soon (if it hasn't already). All the rain that has fallen across the Tennessee Valley the last week is going to get there eventually. When it does, it won't be good for those who live in that area.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We've got LOTS of snow high up in the Rockies for the second straight year. All that water has to go somewhere this spring. We'll keep a lot of it, but a lot of it leaves the state. And the snowiest month of the year hasn't hit yet.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"Historic and unprecedented," except there were two floods worse in 1979 and 1983. This has been bad, make no mistake, but it's the worst in 37 years, not ever.
    What made this one worse was that the city has been developed a bit in that time. Homes and roads that flooded in 2020 were simply not there in 1979 and 1983. So damage will be worse, but technically the flood levels are rare and not unprecedented.

The Mississippi River is in moderate flood stage, about what it does every spring. That's an entirely different flood (and type of flood) than the one affecting Jackson, though. The Mississippi River floods because of snow melt and rain way upstream. The reason the Pearl River is flooding around Jackson is because it won't stop raining -- and raining hard.
    We're about 12 inches above normal rainfall for this time of year in Jackson. It's rained four or five days out of seven, practically every week this year. And when it's rained, it hasn't been a quick sprinkle. It's last two or three days and dropped a couple of inches at a time. All of that rain that's dropped on North and Central Mississippi is backing up the Pearl River basin and creeping into the city of Jackson. We need about a weeklong dry spell for it to flush out, which we aren't going to get. Another two inches is supposed to fall this week.
    I drove over the Pearl River on I-20 this morning. The water is almost up to the top of the pilings, maybe 10-15 feet below the road bed. Thankfully the river has crested for the moment so hopefully it won't get any worse than it already is.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hope it recedes in the next few weeks. I'm bringing a group of kids right through there to Vicksburg at the end of March.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you're just passing through, I think you'll be fine. As bad as it is, it doesn't seem to be affecting the main roads (or at least the interstates) for now. The flooding is in a pretty limited area that just happens to include some of the busiest parts of Jackson, including some of the downtown area. I think they did some work after those two earlier floods to ensure that the interstates at least will stay open if it came close to those levels again.

What's really nasty is it's showing how polluted that river is. The floodwaters are bringing tons of trash along with it that is just floating in ditches and backwaters. It's disgusting.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Terrible damage overnight from tornadoes that sliced across Nashville. Mainly Germantown-East Nashville area. Hope all local SJers are safe this morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted