1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Simplest Life Pleasure?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

For the last several months, my favorite simple pleasure has been swimming 50 laps Monday thru Friday (sometimes during the weekend too) and having the euphoric feeling of being reborn over the next few hours. The whole rest of the day is less stressful and more peaceful after a morning swim.

maumann likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'd die if I tried fifty laps. Pool exercise is lovely, though.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I go twice a week with my kid and it's the best part of my week.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I go to the pool 2-3/wk and enjoy the feeling after but no way I go 50 laps; too boring even with my waterproof MP3 player and earbuds! Good for you Songbird!

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The jerk in me: watching someone walking down the sidewalk, with their head buried it their phone, run head-on into a light pole or another person with their head buried in their phone. (I’ve seen both many times).

The real answer: Sitting in the stands for an afternoon baseball game in the late summer or early fall.

FileNotFound, playthrough and maumann like this.
  6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And a crisp golf shot that you never feel on the club face. Rare, for me.

misterbc, qtlaw and maumann like this.
  7. Songbird

It takes between 25-30 minutes and I avoid "boring" by thinking of baseball jersey numbers to remember what lap I'm on.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Chocolate chip cookies and chocolate milk for dessert after dinner. Have my cookies and milk, watch TV, and go to bed.

A little callback to the innocence of childhood.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good call on the bird feeder. Got one for my balcony mostly to entertain the cats when I'm away, but I'll find myself staring out at it and just watching them peck away. Get lots of cardinals and blue jays on my porch.

10. Songbird

Took 3 CBD soft gels, a bottle of 5 Hour Energy, and plowed thru the laps in 23-24 minutes even with a busy lane.

Life is 1,000% more pleasurable at 8:48 a.m. than it was at 7:48 a.m.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A cup of black coffee and reading the box scores and sports news in the morning before Alice wakes up in complete silence except for bird calls in summer.

misterbc likes this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

• Sitting on the patio talking to friends in person or on the phone
    • A lap full of cat wanting to be petted ("No, monkeystaff, you do not need to knit." "I do not know who this Mandalorian person is, but I am more important and cuter than that Baby Yoda Bitch." "Tell the people at the door to go away!")
    • Speckled butter beans
    • Black-capped Chickadees who don't mind telling me to get up and refill the feeders. They're starving, fergooness sakes!
    • The latest stories from friends who are in the trenches trying to shape young minds
    • Stories, period
    • Being in a sort of happy fugue state working on a project

Wenders and FileNotFound like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted