1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who Was Better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah I call bullshit.

Stone Temple Pilots Chart History

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

SOngbird-
    No idea. The Orioles and Dodgers were both teams in transition by that time.

I remember a story that Tim McCarver, then with CBS, wanted to interview Eddie after he'd hit his 400th home run.

"You're the guy who buries the players, aren't you," Murray told McCarver.

"Well, Eddie, I try to do the best analysis I can and . . ."

"I'm not doing the interview."

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

GNR was even better at taking drugs.

Not even close. GNR.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

In 2020, I take Murray. In 1984, I take Ripken because there was not shortstops like this throughout baseball.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maddux had better numbers despite pitching in a more hitter-friendly era. Ryan was able to pitch near his peak level longer. He was 40 when he led the National League in ERA in 1987. FIP favors Ryan because that statistic favors strikeouts. Maddux could strike guys out, too, but he was also a master at keeping hitters off-balance so they couldn't make hard contact.

I go with Maddux for the better peak. He won the Cy Young Award four years in a row. Ryan never won it.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Maddux wins out bc of his superior control. Ryan had a nasty 12-6 curve and a decent change, but he walked a shit ton of guys throughout his career. Both were equally fun to watch pitch, but Maddux always seemed more in control of things. For all his no-hitters, Ryan never threw a perfect game, which seems like a minor quibble, but you get my point.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do. They were certainly very different pitchers, each extremely effective in his own way.

It is closer than I thought when I first saw the post, but Maddux was better.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Not the be-all, end-all of course, but Maddux had 25 more WAR in four fewer seasons.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Maddux wanted 27 outs. Ryan wanted 27 strikeouts.

I would want Maddux for a season. I want Ryan for a series.

Tweener likes this.
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What’s funny is neither was nearly as terrific in postseason as regular season. Maddux was 11-14 with a 3.27 era, so seems like he had some bad luck from poor run support. Ryan only pitched in 9 postseason games and was 2-2. He never started a game in a WS.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Need Maddux's mastery and Ryan's fortitude.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is the epitome of the history of pitching.

Draft saved Draft deleted