1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vince McMahon to Target Alienated NFL Fans with 'New XFL'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deepest_background, Dec 27, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Just from the AAF experience, it takes a few games for a defense put together on the fly to come together.

QBs in this league are going to put a lot of highlights on their show reel in the next game or two. Not so much after.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Is Lorena Bobbitt the GM? Cutting Johnsons -- uuuuueeeee.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

All beginning sports leagues have weird shit goin' on at the beginning. As long as the checks keep clearing on time, I think that's the biggest "key" to success.

6. DanOregon

Week 2 is always a challenge for upstart football leagues. People tune in week one and then realize, ok - its football. I'm waiting for a column saying that this new XFL needs more pizazz. More players doing weird stuff on social media, more contract and teammate beefs, more players being arrested, you know, just like the NFL.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

They released an app this week. Pick the scores correctly and win $$. I wonder if fantasy will come in Yr 2. Kinda of hard to promote something like that this year when the coaches don't even know who the starters are yet.

XFL Mobile Apps

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The fact that it's on ESPN is good for the league, if only because bars will just blindly leave ESPN on their TVs and it will get in front of some eyes that it might not have otherwise.

9. DanOregon

Here is what's weird. I've long bemoaned how it seems like beat coverage is about everything but what happens in a game. Injuries, player beefs, pending trades seem to dominate reportage. With the XFL, really all you've got is game coverage because people don't know the players, the dreaded "storylines" (I really hate that word when used in sports broadcasts - subplots is a better word) are non-existant.
    Good thing there is gambling. Maybe now I get why they decided to set up shop in major cities.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/11/xfls-betting-friendly-approach-is-paying-off-with-fans-and-vegas/

Draft saved Draft deleted