1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Concordia University

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 10, 2020.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's gonna cost some kids a scholarship.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Tuition was $31,000... Jesus.

Higher education has painted itself into a nasty little corner.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My first reaction on seeing the thread title was "Which one?"
    I think there are about 20 schools named Concordia University/College scattered around the country.

2muchcoffeeman and ChrisLong like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The continuing rise in tuition is one of those things that prompted several small liberal arts schools to get into intercollegiate sports. Students figure if they're paying big school money they should at least get a full college experience and not feel like they're going to a community college.

And I'm pretty sure at least 30 small liberal arts colleges have shuttered across the country in the last three years alone. It's why you see more colleges offering more specific career training programs.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just 30 seconds on Google gives you California, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, Texas and Chicago in addition to Portland (RIP).

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There is a Concordia University in Montreal too.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought that small liberal arts colleges were adding sports as a way to recruit students. Perhaps two percent of high school football players get a scholarship. But a lot of kids want to continue playing sports. So they take out loans or talk their parents into forking up extra dollars to go to a school where they think they can play.

Frequently when the kid gets there he finds out he/she is not good enough but if the kid likes the school then the kid stays.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There is (or was) one in Alabama, too. I think they had some financial issues as well, and might have either closed or dropped athletics to try and save some money.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Concordia-Austin is Lutheran, I believe. What are the affiliations of the others?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They are all Lutheran.

Have several good friends who went to Concordia-Moorhead, MN., who played on an NAIA national-championship women's BB team. It's an outstanding school.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is there also a chain of Trumpist for-profit pseudo colleges named Concordia?

Draft saved Draft deleted