1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did ESPN become ESPN!!11!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 8, 2020.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Everybody knows you never go full Berman.

garrow likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And on a streaming platform that they wanted you to pay money for.

maumann likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

ESPN went from something good, something remarkable even...to trash when it got the MNF contract and simultaneously opened the LA Live West Coast HQ...and decided it needed to fill all its talking heads shows with the same five topics pulled out of Skipper's ass every morning.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

NFL Primetime is one of the best things ESPN ever produced.

For me the network jumped the shark ca. 2002-03, right around the time it got itself in hot water with shows such as Playmakers.

Which I also don't think the league has ever forgiven ESPN for.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mark Shapiro did great work with SportsCentury - got him the big chair in programming and they started doing movies, dramas and game shows. It's worked out well for him, he's now the head at Endeavor one of the top agencies in LA.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Primetime should have evolved over the years. We didn't need Berman yelling "DAH RAIIIIIIIIIIIIDAS!!!" and all his other catchphrases for 30-plus years.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I adored Playmakers. What a great show.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Really? The players could have walked around with placards describing their role and it would have been more subtle than that piece of garbage.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can't explain it. It's probably why I like Any Given Sunday, too. It was so over the top that it was ridiculous. But enjoyable.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I covered the NFL the year the show came out and players were not happy about it.

It was just a very odd thing for a business partner to create.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It also shows how deep the NFL's reach is that no media entity has tried to duplicate it. Isn't the NFL in business with just about every media producer on one project or another? Fox, Disney, NBC, CBS, Facebook, Amazon Prime Video Simulcast of Thursday Night Football, ATT-Warner Bros. (Sunday Ticket). That's pretty much all the networks and movie and TV studios - even if you got something made, good luck finding a place to show it - those companies also control cable and satellite TV. Netflix seems to be the only company that isn't in business with the NFL. (As evidenced by the Hernandez doc)

Draft saved Draft deleted