1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Academy Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Salma Hayek presenting at the Oscars. She’s got a couple of Golden Globes that I'd like to get a hand on.

Batman likes this.
  2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Randy Newman has made a nice career as an animated film composer but I miss his Good Old Boys days

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A bad year of nominated songs has probably contributed to the lack of pizazz - you know its bad when they have to drop Eminem in out of nowhere for some reason.

lakefront likes this.
  4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

He was there because he didn't perform when he won originally. The Academy wanted to finally give him that opportunity.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I don't think that he was ever better, but I'm prejudiced. I saw him premiere "Good Old Boys" at Symphony Hall in Atlanta, with his uncle Emil (also a decorated Hollywood composer/music director) conducting the symphony. Wonderful show.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  6. DanOregon

I realize the producers want to show how diverse the Academy is - despite the nominations - by showcasing non-white performers with the intros and nominees - but couldn't they have brought in Michael B. Jordan? Kevin Hart? Tiffany Haddish?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Kevin Hart?

Seriously?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Cynthia Erivo. Wow. It’s stunning to think she’s the same woman who plays the savant PI in HBO’s The Outsider.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

When did Roy Clark start playing Elton John covers?

11. DanOregon

It just seems odd that so few movies that so many people actually saw last year are being represented in the broadcast. Dwayne Johnson? The Avengers? Star Wars? The show really could have used The Rock's hype video from the Super Bowl last week.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Between her, Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Sigourney Weaver, it is a great night to be a cheese cracker.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted