1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ringer is Live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And he'll still bitch about how he never had a chance to make it the old-fashioned way b/c of the old boys network.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sad truth is "only" 84 percent white is pretty low in the media industry. I'd say The Ringer is better than 95 percent of major media outlets. TV will be "diverse" in front of the camera, but not behind it. Radio? No. And Print? Maybe not even trying to put on appearances.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

No doubt about it, but Simmons is too lacking in self-awareness to know when to sit one out. As we all know, he NEVER sits one out.

5. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It's 86 percent.

And I'm sure they are trying to get to 90 soon enough.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

This reminds me of the Simpsons gag w/the MTV VJ aging out on screen. "But I'm only 32!"

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

No raises, more work and laughed at when asking for promotion.... the ringer is every newsroom in the country after all

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As I read over the names who signed this, outside of one or two, who could leave there and, substantially, negatively impact the revenue-producing part of The Ringer?

Sometimes in this business, you work to have the name of the company on your resume. Then you make the money at the next shop. Any ESPNEWS anchor can attest to this.

Tighthead likes this.
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I wonder if this makes the celebs with podcast reconsider their approach. Those retired athletes all belonged to a union at one point and I don't know if "union buster" is something that they or Jemele want attached to their brands. Maybe the celebs don't care, but I would have to imagine that they could get podcasts elsewhere. It will be hard to hear Rachel Lindsay and Van Lathan speak up for the disenfranchised while they are also being used to screw over the no-names at the company that produces their podcast.

13. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that one mistake a lot of mid-sized organizations like the Ringer make is to de emphasize the importance of a good HR director. When a start up is created there is a feeling that an HR director is not a revenue producer and the whole function is ignored. Employees are caught up in the excitement of the start-up and are generally happy.

But then the organization grows and at some point someone needs to figure out issues like promotion paths and sexual harassment policies.

champ_kind and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted