1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It's easier to be blindly loyal than to think for yourself. Easier to stay where you were born than to move to those cauldrons of free-thinking known as coastal cities.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, a lot of people move to those cities, including a lot of Republicans.

Second, staying where you're born isn't indicative of not thinking for yourself. There's something to be said for seeing different places, understanding different cultures. But that can be done without moving one's life, for one thing, and, for another, poor people can't do that so easily.

That's hard for folks in the media to understand. They experience the lives of others for a living, many come from wealth to begin with, and many hold up accumulated experiences as wisdom.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

There's way too much nuance in this post for a politics thread.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

African Americans aren't motivated, either way, by abortion rights, contraceptive rights or women's issues. They are generally homophobic and are against immigrants, both legal and illegal. Hot button social issues that concern 'progressive(white) democrats', aren't their concern. Curbing police abuse and better schools motivate African Americans and that doesn't play to cross over voters, especially independent trump voters, who love their police and distrustful of Guvment Education anyway. Hispanic voters, especially, especially 2nd and 3rd generation Cuban and Mexican Americans aren't in favor of illegal immigrant rights.

The Dems need to find themselves a coalition that works and wins; they won't.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep. They think Trump's an asshole, but they think every politician is, and Trump's at least shameless enough to put it all on display.

In Biblical terms, he's Pilate, or maybe Herod, or maybe the Caesar. But he isn't a Pharisee.

Many democrats struggle to get this. They think they're better than they are. And there is a perception - successfully pushed by Fox News - they don't practice what they preach and have zero to lose from their grand ideas.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Heyabbott: Expert on the African-American experience. I eagerly await his doctorate in Humane Letters from Howard University.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sherrod Brown is a movie character in a good way.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Disagree with my opinion? or my ability to have an opinion?

X-Hack likes this.
  11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I don't know, As someone who still goes to Mass, I'd rather be a Pharisee. Sticklers for the rules, really uptight, yes. Massacring innocents, waving through the execution of Our Lord (while paying more attention to proper hygene,) no.

On the other hand, it's this type of soul-searching debate that I come here for.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hirono is funny and calls her Republican colleagues out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.