1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sourdough vs. BBQ: Super Bowl LIV thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol

Barstool Sports
    29 mins ·
    Kyle Shanahan Has Now Blown The Two Largest Fourth Quarter Leads In Super Bowl History

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not sure about the assumptions about Goodell - he did seem more "human" at the presentation instead of the typical robotic soundbites he usually provides. Maybe he was genuinely happy for the Hunts. Not sure why they ditched the trophy walkup they usually have done with some NFL legend (Bradshaw aside), was it that they finally got a bigger presentation platform this year so most of the team could be on it?

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I'm playing a team that can erase a 24 point lead in one quarter, I'm sure as hell going for every point I can on every possession.
    PS: Mahomes had three playoff straight games in which his team came back to win from 10 points or more down. All time leader in that, as in many others, is Tom Brady. He has six such comebacks (six losses, too). That's in a 20 year career. Mahomes has half that many in one season.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mahomes only keeps his hair that high to hide the tiny horn on the top of his head.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

In fairness to the first-half decisionmaking, a Mike Sando article at The Athletic makes this good point: not taking a timeout after holding the Chiefs on third down prevented a situation in which the Chiefs downed a punt very deep in SF territory, and then could have gotten the ball back at midfield if they held the 49ers to a three and out. That makes the initial decision not to stop the clock there more defensible; I would still make the case, though, that they should have been more aggressive after the punt resulted in a touchback and they started on the 20 with three timeouts left.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

At best, it was a conservative, bordering on passive, coaching decision. I bet 2/3 of the fans watching at the time thought that the Niners might regret it later.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

True, but coming into the game, the narrative was all about the Chiefs great offense vs. the 49ers great defense. Can't you just spin it the other way, too? "Well, if we go for it here, we're signaling to our defense that we don't have faith in them, blah blah blah." Even deep into the third quarter, the 49ers D was playing very well, pressuring Mahomes and picking him off, too. (It's also probably why DVOA isn't a great metric for breaking down a single game - The 49ers were probably better or equal to the Chiefs for 53 minutes, it's just that they got their doors blown off in the final 7.)

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd have gone for it on 4th and 2.

But a lot of the postgame handwringing is analytics geniuses like Bill Barnwell having to justify picking the Niners after a 10,000-word preview.

Mahomes made his usual plays later in the game than usual. Chiefs win.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On the contrary. If one goes for it rather than wasting clock or kicking a field goal on 4th and 2 (Shanahan's worst decision IMO) you are signaling to your defense "we can take risks on offense because we know you guys have its back and will stop them if we fail."

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It’s all about hindsight. I’ve heard plenty of defensive players say “put it on us, don’t put us in a bad position (by being too aggressive)” or “coach showed a lot of confidence in us (by playing conservatively)”.

I always thought if you’ve got ball last 2 mins, you go for it, not essentially kneel down.

Draft saved Draft deleted