1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sourdough vs. BBQ: Super Bowl LIV thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

NFC is much deeper at the moment than the AFC.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This was probably posted elsewhere.

[​IMG]

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I got some great information from a drunk Roger Goodell at the post-Super Bowl party back when he was COO. And from a drunk Bill Polian.

That was a great night.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Considering how many owners Goodell has given the trophy to were drunk out of their minds, it's only fair he got to be shitfaced giving one out.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

re: The 49ers not being more aggressive at the end of the half, I think it was defensible in the moment. They weren't playing great on offense, and if you give the ball back to KC with any time on the clock, you know they can score. They were getting pretty decent pressure on Mahomes most of the night too, so maybe they figured, "Hey, a couple of these pressures turn into sacks in the second half, and we can win this one." Almost worked - they were up 20-10 with 7 minutes left.

By the way - ESPN's win probability "stat" is probably my least favorite thing they're peddling on the site right now. For example, for that moment - 49ers ball, facing 2nd-and-15, they gave San Fran a 96.1 percent chance of winning.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the lesson of this Super Bowl (not to mention Pats-Falcons) isn't that "win probability" means shit until the clock reads 0:00, what is it? He was intellectually honest enough to point it out himself, so this isn't a rip, but Aaron Schatz, one of the creators of that stat DVOA, noted that the 49ers had a better DVOA in the game than did the Chiefs. Shows the problem of applying stats and "analytics" designed to account for long-range performance into what went or is going on in a single game.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's the call I think they should've made...the refs, I mean. Was glad to see the Chiefs get another TD just because of that.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If only he would have said their last name, I promise it would have come out..........way wrong.
    The censors would have been like "Oh no. There's the one."

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Robinson was not only active, he was wide open for a TD on one of those plays when Mahomes was running away from the rush and threw the ball away.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

... when he's 61. ;)

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    What Jimmy G at 61 might look like

Donny in his element and Chef2 like this.
  12. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I did think of that and there's something to that reasoning, but the counterargument is that you need as many points as you can get against the Chiefs, who you know are probably going to hit some big plays in the second half. Getting a field goal on that drive would have potentially meant it's 24-21 instead of 24-20 and they only need a field goal to tie it after the Chiefs first went ahead in the fourth quarter. They're paying Garoppolo an awful lot of money to not trust him to make plays in that situation at the end of the first half.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted