1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Jan 26, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why does the HIV thing taint anything? Now if you want to say cheating on his wife taints his legacy, I get that. It's not particularly unusual, but it's certainly not a good thing. But in no way should contracting HIV have the same effect on a legacy as a rape accusation, especially one that Bryant sort of admitted was true.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, you guys suggesting the HIV is a factor in this are wildly off-base. No one cares.

Tweener likes this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

When he first announced his HIV status, yes, because we knew so little about the disease. Nowadays, not so much.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Magic is pretty much in Laker purgatory since his stint as GM/VPOBO went down in a heap, no?

5. Starman

Again, I think it would become relevant if he suddenly declined and died of "traditional" AIDS-related causes (had a dramatic physical decline, etc).
    Which would also bring up some commentary on the fact of him living (almost) 30 years apparently symptom-free, and the (presumed) connection of being a mega-millionaire. The rich stay healthy, the sick stay poor.
    What would be ironic would be if Magic underwent dramatic weight loss (which I suspect his doctors might be in favor of -- he's ballooned massively in the last 10 years), it would probably be seized upon as a sign that his HIV had suddenly become acute.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would absolutely be a reasonable argument for him not getting the same treatment as Bryant.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Magic is still beloved in LA despite his crappy performance in sports management. He would get the same treatment locally as Kobe has.

8. Starman

Of course what Kobe had that Magic, West and Kareem do not is the sense of unfinished business, as well as young children growing up.
    We wonder, and will never know, what Kobe was going to do in the next 40 years. Magic, West and Kareem have done what they're going to do.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

No, but half of the world and much of the Lakers fan base never really saw them play.

That’s the difference — or at least part of it. Kobe isn’t just an icon in LA, he’s also someone every sports fan in that city (and perhaps beyond) watched and somehow feels connected with, despite his flaws.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When Magic and Kareem die, which I myself might not see, they will get memorials that will put Kobe's in the shade. West is too old for people younger than myself (I'm 70) to remember, but the NBA, if not the public, will give him a massive gangland slaying sendoff.
    PS: I should admit that IMO all three of them were better players than Kobe, great as he was, and except for West, I don't think there should be an argument there.

Tweener likes this.
  11. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I remember Bill Simmons talking about how Magic would occasionally half-ass stuff and just bail out of commitments. His talk show, an ESPN project, his coaching 'stint' and last year's sudden resignation.

12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I think, yes, the Lakers will do something this big for those guys, but will the fans? Doubt it.

Agree with you on the second part.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted