1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Train to Buson too.

Parasite is a great telling of a story.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Please. He said Great 8 would be his last film. He's becoming caricature at this point.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ugh. Snowpiercer was pretty much excruciating. Did not care for one character in that movie.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He’ll go to TV. That’s probably where he belongs honestly. TV is full of bloat and flagrant pretense for the sake of it. That’s pretty much where ol QT is and has been for a long Time.

It started after Jackie Brown, a damn good movie that didn’t get the whatever of its time, and that stung QT. Basterds and Django had great individual scenes but were slow and frankly ridiculous, the western was awful, and the most recent movie was a bore. Watch that movie, then Pulp Fiction. They’re not in the same area code. Whereas QT once wanted to reveal secret worlds to viewers, now he's into reimagining world history. (And doing whatever he was doing in the western, which was terrible.)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I just finished watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
    I really liked it. I like QT movies and his universe.
    I enjoyed the Pitt story line better than Leo because it was as much about Hollywood at the time than anything. There were some really great nods in there that if you aren't a student of cultural history, you wouldn't get.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watched The Irishman over two nights, finishing up tonight. It was very good, but not great. The end fell a little flat, but the more I think about it, it was the only ending the film could have had.

Pesci seems to be getting most of the praise, but Pacino and DeNiro were both excellent as well. DeNiro had a sadness in his eyes toward the end of the film that I didn't really think he could pull off. Pacino was Pacino, to an extent, but I didn't think he was over the top, as he can be. His personality dominated the film. DeNiro was more subdued, but so good.

I would have liked a stronger female presence in the film, and Peggy seemed to be a missed opportunity. I know Scorsese says he can't tell a story like that and, if the story calls for a female presence, then why not, but that story begged for more of Peggy and Frank's relationship. And given how long it is, you can't make the argument that she couldn't be fit in there.

7. Songbird

If you utilize the Amazon Prime trial, you get access to free TV shows and movies and whatnot.

Last night for some reason I hit play on the movie Heartburn with Nicholson and Streep, directed by Mike Nichols, made in the mid-'80s.

Wow was it a homeless man's version of Kramer vs. Kramer only with Streep enjoying Nicholson's comeuppance at the end.

At the end of Kramer, instead of going up in the elevator to tell Billy that he gets to stay with daddy, emotional heartbreaker to cap one of the most jarringly somber movies ever made, Streep in Heartburn goes up in an airplane with her daughter singing itsy-bitsy spider in a feel-good moment full of schmaltz. It's a terrible movie that is still worth watching because Nicholson has this crazy presence about him.

[​IMG]

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The one indie cinema in central London is showing Uncut Gems before it gets released in Netflix. Not as wonderful as hyped but still a solid flick.

Adam Sandler is fine. Everything, the tone, the plot, really borders on caricature but the end makes up for it. And for what it's worth, Kevin Garnett doesn't screw up playing the role of Kevin Garnett.

9. Songbird

About 40 minutes into Midsommar and it feels like I should be trippin' balls while watching.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Songbird

Is this like the Swedish Get Out?

11. Songbird

Rather it's more like The Swedish Lottery. Trip and a half when you're sober.

12. Songbird

The role the blonde girlfriend plays is something Lohan should have done 10 years ago had she not lost her way.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted