1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominee screechfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cosmo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What is the T-Rex/The Who connection?

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You Better You Bet

T-Rex gets a shout out in the song.

Attached Files:

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I’d like to see your list of the 100 above him.

I don’t think that there has ever been a rap album which was more ubiquitous than Ready to Die. Life After Death was pretty close. Obviously, his career was ridiculously short and I think that the ceremony being in his old neighborhood this year prodded his induction. If you are going to induct rappers, he’s a no brainer.

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Agree with this entire list, which deviated quite a bit from some of the earlier posts. Shouts.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Also from Mott the Hoople in "All the Young Dudes."

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

No rapper has ever understood the metrical structure of verse better than Biggie Smalls.

He was a writer's rapper, all the way.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Pretty much every UK punk and pub rock band acknowledges Mott The Hoople as a direct influence. Same with a lot of hair metal, though they certainly sanitized the Mott sound down to a lowest common denominator essence. (See Great White and their watered down version of “Once Bitten Twice Shy”, done originally by Mott lead singer Ian Hunter.)

The Clash were so enamored with Mott they sought out Mott’s pre-Dudes producer, Guy Stevens, to do “London Calling”.

Dudes may have been their only hit here, though “All The Way From Memphis” was used prominently in “Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore”, but they were much bigger in England.

Their glam period albums - “All The Young Dudes”, “Mott” (especially) and “The Hoople” are all excellent albums. Pre-glam “Brain Capers” is also choice.

RRHOF? I’d love it, but as with the Raspberries and Big Star, I’m not holding my breath. Mott is pretty damn great though. If you want a sampler, “The Ballad Of Mott” compilation is the way to go.

Huggy likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like you but stop with this nonsense.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You're trying to say Biggie was better than Rakim? LOLOLOLOL.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That's the song you chose to make the case for Rakim was better than Biggie?

Draft saved Draft deleted