1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 9, 2019.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

why so serious

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Making outs is bad, always has been.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

RBIs are good, always have been.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And swinging at balls leads to a high percentage of RBI?

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Until Jim Rice got in, Dawson may him been the "really, him?" guy of the modern ballot. There are enough "bad" players in the Hall of Fame that you can always point to them to ask "why not this guy?"

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Kicking somebody in the balls leads to a high percentage of pain.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Rice was one of my favorites growing up. Then I interviewed him in spring training in like 2002 or 2003 and asked him about the Hall and the process and if he was frustrated. He swore a blue streak and looked like he was about to assault me. After that, I couldn't have given a damn if he made it or not. His peak was pretty sick, but his splits are glaring.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's not what I said. What I said was don't milk the walk just to get on base, a walk isn't always as good as a hit. There are great hitters who were notorious bad ball hitters. It is said that Yogi was the best bad ball hitter. Why take a walk that doesn't score a run when a hit will. Making non-sacrifice outs may often be a bad thing. But with the game tied in the bottom of the 9th and one out with a man on third, do you want a run scoring flyout to CF or a walk? What's bad about that out?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You make it sound so easy. Swing at bad pitches and good things will happen.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It is kind of amazing that guys like Gwynn and DiMaggio didn't walk much or strike out much. They put the ball in play, and yet you had to imagine a lot of those were pitches out of the strike zone.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is my belief from observation that so-called "bad ball" hitters are actually good at hitting pitches just outside the strike zone that are extensions of the quadrant or quadrants IN the strike where they murder pitches. Berra killed low balls. His personal strike zone where he could make good contact was lower than the standard. Hence his reputation. Dick Allen killed high fastballs in the zone. So he'd swing at high fastballs outside the zone, too. Sometimes he'd whiff. Sometimes he'd hit 450-foot homers.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted