1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dept of Hall of Fame headlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jan 20, 2020.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. poindexter

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

EE208FEA-B5C8-47CA-A23D-CA992F5CEB90.jpeg
    This thread has potential to be pure gold.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My favorite near miss was a headline I wrote for a USC football wrap up story in the late 80s or early 90s when Larry Smith was coach. The AP article mentioned it was an up-and-down season so my head was "Smith's Trojans endure season of ups and downs."

After the boys in paste up all started laughing, I changed it.

5. Tarheel316

That’s a good one. Have you ever seen placeholders make into print?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So who will he punch in the crotch after seeing that headline?

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

9931FE95-6940-4997-B921-79DBA6C8D05F.jpeg

8. ChrisLong

And then you had an IN-N-OUT BURGER

9. poindexter

Around five years ago, the Long Beach PT had this kind of thing, oh, once a week.

10. ChrisLong

There was another night around that time when the Mike Waldner and Mitch Chortkoff mugs ran top of each other. The conglomerate Waldner/Chortkoff mug was better looking than either of them alone.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Had one editor who loved to look over my shoulder and make suggestions as I built the front page. One day we had a story about newly-hired teachers and the lead talked about how the new music teacher was adjusting to the heat from Minnesota to Arizona. The editor suggested "New teachers hot to trot," to which, after 20 minutes or so of his suggestions, I turned around and said "They aren't streetwalkers!"

12. Tarheel316

I don’t have a copy but the Greensboro News & Record once had a placeholder that said 42-pt headline hery. It was on an open inside page that the guys on the desk forgot about until someone from production asked about the page. At least that’s what I was told. There was also a paragraph about a running back scoring his third TD of the game to make the score 14-14 on that page.

Draft saved Draft deleted