1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One car or two?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jan 14, 2020.

1. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

We have a '19 CRV with all the safety features. Good car.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good to hear, thanks. I read somewhere that the '18 CRVs had some issues with oil mixing into the fuel in super cold weather, but they recalled and fixed the defect and the '19s haven't had the same issue.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Very happy with my '18 Subaru Forester.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I looked at the Forester, but it's a touch more than I want to spend.

5. Michael_ Gee

Fair enough. Since my car before that was a 2003 Corolla with 200K miles and still going (gave it to a niece as a HS graduation present), I felt I had a little extra to spend on a new car.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Trick question.

No cars.

One motorcycle.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. I never thought there would be a day when my family would have two furr'n cars, but my wife got a Scion XB in 2012 that runs like a clock, and when my Ford Edge died on the interstate two years ago (a damned harrowing experience), I got a Toyota Highlander. It came from a factory in my state, so at least I can rationalize it that way.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I know American cars are better than the ones I bought in 1976 and 1980, but . . .

No. Never.

9. Michael_ Gee

Last American car I owned was an '89 Chevy Nova, which of course was a copy of the small Toyota of that time. Great car, one I was sorry to trade in.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Altima has run like a champ, compared to three Dodges I had that all died horrible deaths. First time in my life I've been in position to buy when I want rather than when I absolutely need. The Altima would need a couple of thousand in maintenance (tires, brakes, shocks/struts, transmission service, body work, etc.) right now. Would rather upgrade and get some more space, plus all-wheel drive. The time is right.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

We bought a '13 Forester XT in 2015 and paid it off late last year. It's been a great vehicle for us, but you can get much cheaper versions of the Forester than ours with the turbo and sun roof.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My wife (then GF) had one and it ran like a top (a sparse one though) great for what it was, a dependable form of transportation. We sold for a slightly larger Camry.

Japanese (and now Korean) cars have a better fit and finish than American cars.

My son is driving our 2004 Toyota Minivan and it still runs like the day we bought it.

Draft saved Draft deleted