1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA National Championship Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My favorite non-soccer gambling win of 2019 was Pats -20.5 against the Bengals. I think the spread was 10 and I got +330 for the higher spread on DK. Pats won by 21.

poindexter and playthrough like this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I may be off base here, but I think this is fairly accurate.
    Only game I've seen it in is Texas Hold'Em, and it was 10-15 years ago.
    Let's say Player A and Player B are all in.
    If Player A is a 2:1 favorite, he can sell part of his odds. Say 1/2 for $3000. So he would be technically a 1 1/2 to 1 favorite, but even if he loses the hand, he still pockets the 3k. If he wins the hand, it all depends on what is in the pot.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not the same thing at all. Yours is a hedge.

Taking LSU -13.5 is not a hedge.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I feel like I saw something like that in the late-night poker shows where all the pros played. I used to be on top of all that but if I sat down at a table today I'd be broke in 20 minutes.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How selfish an act is this? One of the great moments in school history and this jackass is on the field doing this. Can't just be celebrating. Nope. Has to do this. Even if it's a prank, why?

I think there's something wrong with the guy.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

But No. 1 in our hearts.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dammit Rinaldi.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Isn't yours a form of a hedge?
    He already had LSU (-7.5)....then gets "better money" at -13.5 and takes that also?

12. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

Sagarin has three different ratings, and his overall one is a combination of them. Two of the three have LSU behind Ohio State, and the overall one has LSU just a tiny bit ahead of Ohio State. I think those systems may be reacting to LSU only beating Auburn by 3, Alabama by 5, and Texas by 7.

Those results are also why I don't think LSU was the greatest team ever (though if you argue that the quality of play is improving quickly, which I suppose is plausible, that helps their case). Seems like the greatest team ever would have won all its games by double digits. Still, that first half against Oklahoma and the last 3 quarters against Clemson....damn.

Draft saved Draft deleted