1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA National Championship Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The highest guy on the list who played after 1997 is Adrian Peterson at 45. Tebow is at 76. For a three-time Heisman finalist and a winner, who won one title and had a big hand in another, that does seem kinda low

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I live on the West Coast and I can't stay up to watch this finish. Not sure how anybody on the East Coast can stay awake.

I think if OJ keeps his nose clean, he's a top-11 player for sure. What he did in two years at USC was incredible.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They were pretty determined not be accused of Recency Bias.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No One Shining Moment type deal for the season? Or the bowl season? Weak.

Does the "loser's" confetti go to Haiti along with the shirts and caps?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Huge credit to Burrow; he looked rattled at start and then found his footing and the stud he’s been all year. Lawrence was great last year but he had some help from some great catches by Ross etc. Burrow tonight? I don’t recall many completed passes that weren’t right there. Amazing performance.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The best thing about this LSU national championship?
    No asterisks. No "yeah, buts." No doubts.

Way back in 2003, LSU got its first title of the modern era but USC claimed part of it because of the BCS formula and all of that crap. There was a big effort to discount it and crown USC, and as great as it was it felt like we didn't really win it on some level.
    In 2007 they won another with two losses. Even though they had as strong a case as any of eight teams in the mix, and destroyed No. 1 Ohio State, there was (and still is 12 years later) some question whether they deserved the shot in the first place. It almost felt like we had to justify being there.
    In 2011 they had one of the greatest teams and seasons in college football history and couldn't close it out, and became a punchline.

In 2019? None of those things. A perfect 15-0. They beat everybody of note. They conquered all the challenges. Had the Heisman winner and set damn near every record you could set.
    There are no asterisks this time. For the first time maybe ever, LSU is unquestionably the best team in college football. That is incredibly satisfying to be some small part of, even if it's just one small voice among thousands cheering them on.

Geaux Tigers.

FileNotFound and Key like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nowhere near as annoying as the damn DJ.

8. Neutral Corner

This was a no kidding, wire to wire run of dominance. Hell of a team. That first half against OU was insanely good. Congrats, this has to have been a fun ride for you.

As to the 2007 team - When you win a national championship but lose your homecoming game to UAB, a Watson Brown coached UAB at that, you're going to get the hairy eyeball. You just are.

9. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

The UAB loss was in 2000.

10. Neutral Corner

Doh! I stand ashamed and corrected.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For LSU to put up 628 yards of offense against that defense is amazing.
    Burrow going 463 and 5?
    Man. You knew he was good, but holy cow, that was a performance, and against a defense that was ranked 1 in points allowed, and 2 in yards allowed.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was good when it was 17-7 Clemson then I fell asleep ...

Draft saved Draft deleted