1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media member sells Kyle Rudolph's gloves on eBay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

2. One time in a locker room I saw a reporter (not a full-timer but someone I saw at games fairly often in that market and had been doing this long enough to know better) go up to a player with his recorder and ask him to say happy birthday to his daughter. The player said no. That's not nearly on the level of asking for someone's gloves and then selling them but that kind of stuff is still insanely unprofessional and happens a lot.

cjericho, Tweener and RonClements like this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

About the closest I ever came to this was in 2011. I was covering the Rams and took my son, David, with me to most of the training camp practices. He became sort of a mascot that summer and, at the end of training camp, when the Rams players all signed this giant team poster for fans, David got signatures from most of the players. One player he didn't get was Steven Jackson. David's birthday is Dec. 11 and he had lamented over missing out on getting Jackson's autograph, so I asked the team's media relations director, Ted Crews, if he could possibly arrange something for David's birthday to get a Jackson signature. Ted spoke with Jackson and he agreed to sign something, so I had a birthday card printed up for David that Steven then signed. It was like getting a birthday card from Steven Jackson and my son loved it. He's 22 now and still thinks about that. It was a very nice thing, but David still has that card and never once was profiting off that signature discussed.

6. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I thanked Steven the next time I saw him and he was so cool about it. He had this reputation of being stand-offish with media, but he was nothing but kind and accommodating with me.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

no - but I would have been pissed if I was Patrick, using his name and the job to to pester potential and past guests.

RonClements likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I was kidding about selling them. Thing is, if I kept everything from every conference, convention, team, etc. there would be no room on my shelves.

To the middle schoolers who got my guides, they were gold. I like the idea of books, music, etc getting new lives with people who love them. They lose their vitality if they're not enjoyed. Probably weird to contemplate it, but I think artists keep a little spark of life in the world when we partake of their work. I'll go put on my tinfoil hat now. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

We moved office a few years ago and I trashed about a hundred spiral-bound media guides on our shelf. They don't even print those anymore.

RonClements likes this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Some older media guides had rather exquisite cover illustrations.
    I considered a framed collage for my nerd cave, but I didn't want to cut them up if somebody else could have used them.
    I know I am one of the people who has scoured the web for a grainy PDF of a 1984 Indianapolis Colts media guide (or somesuch).
    These materials have value to somebody.

OscarMadison and RonClements like this.
  11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I got crucified on these pages 15 years ago for daring to suggest that media members shouldn’t personally profit by selling things they accumulate while in the employ of someone else. Like media guides, bowl games swag, etc. I was basically told to relax and have a tall glass of STFU. I still feel that way, though I did relax and STFUpped.

Tweener likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I mean, even 15 years ago, there was more loyalty and less mercenary behavior. Nowadays, Gatehouse acquires your paper and tries to mulch your 150-year-old photo archive, before someone says, "Hey, maybe we should at least see if the historical society wants this first."

Draft saved Draft deleted