1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Media member sells Kyle Rudolph's gloves on eBay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jan 8, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

eBay Feedback Profile for purpleplanet19

And looking further down the sold listings ... he has sold autographed NFL gloves before. Mahomes, Saquon Barkley.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Excellent feedback ratings!

The guy is selling media guides, media pins - someone will figure out who he is pretty quickly and I suspect he'll be out of a job.

wicked and HanSenSE like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If not some fanboi site.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He also changed his user name - today

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a big eBay whore (if you couldn't already tell, heh) and I didn't even know you could do that.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb question, but is selling the old media guides a no-no? Or other free swag? Either by ethical standards or through the terms of credentials?
    I remember years ago we found some old ones in the office, as well as some promotional trinkets, and we put them up on eBay just to see if we could get some money for an office party. If they fetched any kind of money, the SE at the time kept it. I don't recall going out for drinks off of that sale.
    Those sorts of things don't have much practical value for us in the media after a year or two, though. I don't see the harm in selling those instead of throwing them away. Obviously, the gloves are an infinitely higher magnitude of sleaze.

RonClements likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nah.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Huh. I didn't realize eBay was still around even. I should check and see if my account is still active. I made a killing back around 2006 selling toys I had as a kid. GI Joes, He-Man, A-Team, etc. My mom found them in the basement, threw them all in a bag and gave them to me a few years after I got married. Made some good money (which was needed at the time).

garrow and Tweener like this.
  9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

So it's someone who gets to a lot of games. I have a friend from college who is basically a freelancer for the NFL (does tons of other stuff too) and does dozens upon dozens of games a season and pretty much has likely been to or had access to everything this dude has sold. He was at both these NFL games this past weekend that have items for auction. I was actually worried it might be him. But alas, he doesn't live in Indy. I'm sure there are plenty of people who travel to tons of games to cover them in whatever which way. But it definitely wouldn't be

Whoever this is is definitely a kind of scum, even if it's mostly media crap he's selling.

10. motorsportwriter

motorsportwriter New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a very well-known columnist in the Twin Cities about five years back who sold off much of the stuff he had collected for several decades of his career? From what I recall, it included things he was given by athletes, old media guides, programs and scorecards, autographs, etc. I don't remember if he gave the proceeds to charity, but I don't recall anyone giving him any criticism for essentially what was "an estate sale" or "cleaning out his closets." If you're simply getting rid of stuff that's been collected over the years, stuff you've collected or been given, I don't see anything really wrong if you try to sell some things if they're long old and unusable. Is it better to burn/destroy things that others might want for their collection -- particularly fans -- and are willing to pay a nominal, as opposed to outrageous fee? But I agree if it's blatant theft or fraud, selling something on eBay and pocketing the cash from something obtained in the modern day, that is completely wrong.

11. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

While everyone else was on deadline at the Super Bowl, this dude was evidently collecting confetti from the field celebration. Haha. Looks like he got into sports writing solely for the side hustle.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. I gave my old media guides to a friend's daughter's scout troop. I could have funded my book habit with them? Damn.

RonClements likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted