1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Planet Fitness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I read "crossfit" and almost stopped reading.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don’t harsh my WOD. It’s burpees and deadlift day!

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've honestly taken it more of a knock on Peloton. Maybe it isn't and just a gym lifestyle, but Peloton keeps track of all those numbers and some times calls it out. My wife has been using a Peloton for a couple of years and still can't get the output they come up with on there and she works her butt off. I think that's what the ad is going for, not accepting she isn't trying or won't work hard, that people have their own ability levels. But who knows.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did they watch Dodgeball and pattern their marketing campaign after Average Joe's?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to wander over there tomorrow and see the place and probably sign up. Years ago, I used to do a stairmaster regularly and I thought it was helpful and my doctor has suggested I do some light weight training. I have five years in a row of walking at least 1,500 miles a year but I need to add a few things to the mix.

They opened a Soul Cycle not far from this PF. Can't believe what that joint costs.

Wenders and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Try the ellipticals. Much less stress on knees,ankles, etc.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I belong to an Equinox by my work (incredible corporate rate) and a Crunch by my house ($10 a month). The Crunch is awful, terrible TVs, equipment seems a generation or two behind, but they have an elliptical that I like and it is too cheap to quit.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I see this line of thinking a lot as it relates to gyms and it doesn't make any sense to me. The gym's overhead is basically the same no matter how many people are inside (within fire code, obviously). Rent, electricity, insurance, equipment, employees are all pretty known costs.

More members in the building may cost a bit more money on the water bill, but that can probably be offset with with the water/energy drinks they sell. They don't actually make more money if fewer people come through the doors to work out. Why wouldn't they want you to keep coming?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I dove in and joined tonight (the 20 cents thing ends tomorrow), a co-worker does it for the same things I'm looking to do and he says it is perfect for that. Going to wander over there tomorrow and see what's up.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Because if everybody came nobody would
    go there anymore because it's too crowded.
    / YOGI BERRA

Baron Scicluna, UNCGrad and bigpern23 like this.
  11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Complete opposite experience with the Crunch by me. Several cross-fit style/HIIT classes included for $35/month. Updated equipment with a lot of variety, roomy, new TVs everywhere, MyZone integration, friendly and engaged staff, hydromassage, etc.

Been going 3-4 times/week for 2 years now, mostly at 5 a.m. I've never been able to maintain a fitness regimen like this before joining Crunch.

My wife had been going to one of those pop-up cross-fit/bootcamp style facilities you see everywhere now. She could only attend a set amount of classes per week. Her rate was 3 courses for $25/week or essentially $100/month (you might as well get PT at a gym for that price).

She switched to Crunch and the HIIT courses there last year ... she gets a more challenging workout with more engaged instructors at Crunch.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Because there's no way they have enough room or equipment if everybody who joined came to the gym in a 24-hour period. There just aren't enough treadmills or weight stations to go around. Add in wear-and-tear on equipment (those cable weight machines can be a pain to fix; treadmills are expensive), laundry for clean towels, need for more employees and suddenly you're cutting into the profit margin.

I used to go to a CF box that had around 200 members. We'd average around 20-30 people per session during the week and 50 or so on Saturdays. The owner put on a big push to grow and soon had more than 500 signed up. He didn't have enough barbells for each class. AMRAPs sucked, because even if you paired up with somebody doing the same weight inevitably one of you would be delayed by waiting on the other person. You lost the individual attention from the coaches. I wound up leaving for a smaller one.

Draft saved Draft deleted