1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That's kind of a crazy stat, one how good they've been during that time (and this year both were considered big longshots), and two, that they haven't won again. After a stretch where the 6 seed did well overall too -- 2005 Steelers won the Super Bowl, 08 both conference championship games had the 6 seed in them, and the Jets went to the AFC championship game in 10 too. So really, the 6 seeds have been good for 15 years, but after the wold card haven't done anything after a good run.

Batman likes this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What Rudolph did fit the textbook definition of offensive pass interference. He put his hand on the defender and pushed off, extending his arm.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"That's a penalty."

"No it's not, you have to let the players decide the game, not the referees!"

"Well, the guy who pushed off was a player, right?"

Both players hand-fighting is one thing, but if they're not going to call that OPI, what's the point of the rule?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is textbook offensive and defensive pass interference on about 78% of the pass plays.

5. outofplace

Maybe, and that is why making pass interference reviewable was a mistake. If they are going to have the rule, they have to look at that play. Otherwise, it is a joke.

6. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Not looking at it is one issue; the way the NFL went rogue and decided to ignore the PI review rule is really quite remarkable. But to call that OPI would fundamentally change the game of football - I'm not talking about what the rulebook says, but how the game has been played and called on the field for decades. Hell, Cris Carter would have averaged 8 penalties a game if what Rudolph did is a penalty. And the only way to call that even close to consistently would be to stop the game and have video review of pretty much every single reception; the handfighting that goes on every time a ball is thrown into contested coverage is awfully hard to judge with the naked eye.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Lynch got 1 game check for last week. What’s he getting paid for this week?

8. outofplace

Yeah, maybe receivers would have to stop getting away with pushing off. Michael Irvin probably wouldn't have had a career if you call it properly. Again, this is why I'm saying the new replay rule is ridiculous. Because now there is no excuse for getting it wrong so consistently.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was my thinking, I took Vikes plus points too. But not enough of a riverboat gambler to take a shot at that +325 moneyline, sigh.

Batman likes this.
  10. playthrough

Agree on all counts. But I'm sure New York was in the ref's ear screaming "NO REVIEW," so as to not have the big screens repeatedly showing the push-off and the fans working themselves into a froth again.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's where you do it as a small $5 or $10 throwaway bet, or bundle it with a couple of other promising underdogs in a $5 parlay. If you lose, eh, you're out $5. Big whoop. If you win, especially as part of a plus-money line parlay, you can rack up.

12. playthrough

True. I've gone too square. But that has kept my head above water, which is all I wanted to do when my state went legal.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted