1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chris Snow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Stunning news and the family history is horrifying: His dad, two uncles and a cousin have died from it.

DEAR HOCKEY FAMILY

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Darned blurry monitor...

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For those who don’t know/remember, he started as one of us before joining hockey ops.

Godspeed.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I saw this on the bottom line tonight ... just awful. (Bear with me) I have a group of friends who are friends with a woman who was diagnosed with ALS at age 35. Just hearing about all of the care that she has to have just to survive ... such an awful thing. But they stick by her. They donate money. They donate time for the 24/7 care she needs, from bathing, to dressing, to just being able to communicate via her eyes. Heartbreaking.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

F ALS.

A man in my city, whom I got to know from covering, has become a dear friend. He is on YEAR NINE of his ALS battle since his diagnosis. He's down to blinking and moving his eyes as his only mobility. Four years ago, he could still talk and swallow, moving his hand to get his wheelchair around.

We "talk" through Facebook when I see him pop up.

He (and his family) have told me that, when it's time for him to pass away, he wants me there -- with cameras rolling -- to record what this awful disease has done. Said if THAT doesn't move people to want to find a cure, nothing will.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is horrible. ALS has always struck me as the most frightening disease there is.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sad story. One part that struck me was that he’s part of an experimental test, but he doesn't know if he’s getting the new drug or the placebo. I’m thinking that has to majorly suck if he finds out he’s getting the placebo.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ex, unfortunately, if medical science doesn't become much more powerful or advanced, a cure for ALS is most likely never going to happen. The way my neurologist explained it to me is, there are dozens and dozens of spots in the gene code where ALS can develop, and even pinpointing where it started is impossible. Once the symptoms begin, there's no real way to know where or why it started.

I've said before the brown recluse spiders and ALS are the only two things I'm scared of.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

There seem to be different causes. Snow's is genetic -- and he's getting treatment that targets the genes.

There does seem to be evidence that there could be a link between football (CTE) and ALS. That would be preventable.

And finally, I've been reading articles lately about blue green algae. There seems to be a link.

So ALS could one day be something akin to polio. We can't cure it, but we might be able to almost completely eradicate it.

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I wish this thread was being unearthed for better news. Chris Snow suffered a cardiac event this week and will be taken off life support shortly. However you go about thinking good thoughts for others, please do that for the Snow family.

Tighthead likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Oh no.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted