1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter | The Times (Munster, IN)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, Dec 6, 2019.

1. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Would your competitive nature jump at the chance to cover one of the most active prep sports markets in Indiana and the Midwest?

The Times of Northwest Indiana is seeking a talented storyteller and self-driven journalist to cover high school sports and assist with coverage of Valparaiso University athletics. In joining this award-winning staff, our sports reporter will be expected to:

• Find and write compelling feature, enterprise and narrative nonfiction stories that delve into important topics. The goal is to find issues and trends that will be of interest to a wide audience, not just fans of one school or one team.
    • Become a known personality in the Region sports scene, connecting with parents, athletes, coaches and readers.
    • Write accurate, clean and clear copy.
    • Embrace new methods of telling compelling stories, not just through print but via video, audio and multi-media tools to create digital work that will dovetail with stories - and sometimes stand alone.
    • Use social media to promote coverage, as well as aid with reporting.
    Qualified candidates should have a bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university. Applications also must have a good driving record and access to an insured vehicle.

Apply today at www.nwi.com/timesjobs.

Please include a resume, three writing samples and one sample of digital work.

The Times/Lee Enterprises is an Equal Opportunity Employer

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Reporter

2. superhater

superhater Member

Can't speak to the overall state of the paper since I've been gone for 15 years, but I will 1 million percent vouch for Mike Clark. Great SE to work for.

3. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Is that Mike Clark who used to work in Chicago? I think for the Sun Times

4. MSUgrad

MSUgrad Member

Wow! Two openings in a little more than a year.

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Curious what a mid-sized paper in the Midwest pays these days. $35k for this one? High? Low?

Might at least get you a little more bang for your buck than on the coasts.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I would say gross salary is 30-33K, but def more bang for your buck than the coast. If the industry wasn't complete trash the opportunity to write D-I would be intriguing, especially for a younger reporter.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

8. superhater

superhater Member

The same. He was the SE at The Times in the early aughts before going to Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted