1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Go Bowling------2019-20 Bowl Game Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 9, 2019.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell that's 300K more than New Mexico Bowl got when it was hoodwinked earlier this fall.

ESPN cuts ties with New Mexico Bowl sponsor

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So to give this a bump, and after my aborted attempt to start a second thread, might as well post this in the right place.

A little Heisman numerology:
    • If Joe Burrow wins as expected, he will be the first Heisman winner to wear No. 9 and will also continue a trend. Every winner this decade except one (Robert Griffin III in 2011) has worn a single-digit number. Prior to 2010, only seven Heisman winners had worn a single digit.
    • If Burrow wins, it will leave No. 4 as the only single-digit number (and the only number from 1-22) without a winner.
    • If anyone other than Burrow wins it, it will mark the fifth time in 10 years that the winner wore No. 1 or No. 2. Prior to 2010, the only winner to wear one of those numbers was Charles Woodson in 1997.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also Baylor and dead ... oy ... Dave Bliss and shit

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I know you're happy about this, but why isn't anybody interested in Bill Clark? If there were such a thing as Coach of the Decade, I'd vote Saban first and Clark second. Insane. While CUSA hasn't been the cradle of coaches, Brohm did get the Purdue gig a couple of years ago.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, they're interested. He isn't. Not in those programs anyhow. I keep saying it, and people seem to have a problem believing it. He's not going to be the hot G5 coach who takes a shitty job, cashes a fat check for a few years, and then gets replaced because there are good reasons that they are always in the bottom half of their conference.

He's building something at UAB. He has an eye toward making a program on the order of Boise St. or UCF. I would be seriously surprised if he left before 2021, which will be the first year in the new stadium he helped design. I'm not some dumb and blind fan who thinks he'll never leave. We'd love him to stay for a decade or so, but everyone here knows the reality of a successful college HC's career arc.

That said, I can't see him leaving for *any* P5/SEC bottom half of the conference job just for the pay raise. He's making $1.5m, top of the conference or close to it. He has a home in town and on the lake. His and his wife's families are all within a couple of hours of B'ham. His new grandbaby is here. He's been an Alabama guy all his life. He's well respected among high school coaches here. He's been able to get virtually anything he asked for, which is a young miracle at UAB considering the history. He's loved. If he took that job tomorrow he'd still have a statue outside the stadium.

Sooner or later he'll get an offer from an Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, someone like that. That's what it will take, a job at southern power program which has a legitimate path toward a national championship.

I know for a fact that he has been offered DC job(s) in the SEC. Won't happen, he's a head coach and won't bite, money be damned. He interviewed for a HC job in the SEC after last season - I don't know if that was just a feeler or if an offer was ever made.

As far as Mizzou, Arkansas, and Ole Miss, my bet is that his agent simply told them not to waste their time.

We did lose our TE coach/running game and recruiting coordinator to Mizzou yesterday. We've lost several from Clark's staff over the last few years, which is in an odd way an improvement over previous coaching staffs that no one was interested in hiring away.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is that really Nessler on the Army Navy game? Either he has a bad cold or his voice gets decidely less twangy north of the Mason Dixon line. Glad CBS dialed back the open - they were beginning to look like Michael Bay films in recent years. Trump wearing a campaign hat to this thing - classy.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Early draft entrants by conference: SEC leads with 10 of the 27. #ItJustMeansMore

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Am I the only one oddly intrigued by this Buffalo-Charlotte game in the Bahamas?

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's cold hard cash to be made in every bowl game. I like the angle of going against a first-time bowl team (Charlotte) just happy to be there. Though I imagine a team from Buffalo would also be pretty darned happy to be in the Bahamas.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If I remember right from last year's game, the police/security were drinking in the parking lot, not really policing or securing, basically enjoying the day. Nobody was taking tickets. It was come and go as you please. It sounded like fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted