1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 1, 2019.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Sounds like WWE is about to release Matt Hardy. If he ends up a creative force on or off screen at AEW its a game changer.

2. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

So ... umm ... if John Morrison needs a manager in his return for WWE.

3. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

OK, that's pretty epic.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Garza 1, Cena 0

5. Baron Scicluna

I believe his contract is up early next year anyways. Unless these glorified jobber matches are leading to something else, the E had been using him poorly.

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Unpopular opinion: Hardy's shtick has mostly minor-league appeal. The WWE could let him leave for AEW just to drag down the competition.

7. Baron Scicluna

I think the E just didn’t give the gimmick much of a chance because they didn’t create it. The character is actually that, a character, which there hasn’t been much of in the last 10 years or so.

I’m not saying put him in the main event (although doing something with The Fiend could be quite good). But he could be a strong midcarder.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

AEW wouldn't use it right, either, at least not with they way they've been running the show. They don't leave much time for promos, much less the intricate pre-shot segments that made Hardy's character as appealing as it was.

9. Baron Scicluna

Elias just sang about Bayley’s face, her haircut, and about a threesome with the two of them and Sasha.

Not exactly PG or being a Star right there.

Batman likes this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

Matt Hardy’s brilliant. The company that signs him would have to give the broken universe TV time, I suppose, but the value he could give AEW in a backstage role can’t be measured.

They don’t have writers. It shows in good ways (Cody and Jericho promos) and it also shows in bad ways (announcers don’t know story, there aren’t many stories). Matt Hardy’s brain making stories for the lower card would be amazing.

I presume WWE would let him do that so if he splits its A) He wants to be in front of the camera and/or B) He knows his creative vision will be stunted by the old man who (probably) has a dog food fixation.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of thought that WWE wouldn't use Hardy properly because they didn't immediately use the "broken" gimmick the second they signed him. If it isn't their idea, it's always an uphill climb.

12. JimmyHoward33

What is the deal with Joey Janela? Is he a heel? He just tied up Tully Blanchard? But Shawn Spears was supposed to be a heel wasn’t he?

I also don’t understand this Adam Page Elite business. He left. But he’s teaming with Kenny Omega. But there’s tension? Was this perhaps explained on youtube? They gotta make the cliffnotes part of the actual tv show.

Draft saved Draft deleted