1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the most surprising sports feat that hasn't been accomplished?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Dec 12, 2019.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Steelers also got close in Super Bowl IX. Vikings scored on a blocked punt in the fourth but that was it. The extra point failed.

Batman likes this.
  2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

But Calvin Johnson came extremely close in 2012. 1964 with 11 games over 100 yards.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Jets, too. The Colts didn't scored until there was 3:32 left in the game in Super Bowl III.
    The only team that came close to winning without scoring an offensive touchdown was the Bengals in Super Bowl XXIII. Their only touchdown was on a kickoff return. And that's another weird thing, that there hasn't been a shutout even though six teams have not scored an offensive touchdown.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The whack thing about that that year was, he only caught 5 TDs.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but this wasn't a craptastic offense that couldn't see the Red Zone without a telescope.

They left 27 points on the field and started a QB who threw the game.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

A U of Southern Cal QB winning the Super Bowl. Actually, most Trojan QBs tend to under-achieve in the NFL since an historic excess of talent in college makes them look better than they are.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we'd get on well in real life.
    I have no memory of high school geometry but I can name the 40-man for the 1984 Pittsburgh Pirates.
    Happy Birthday to Haywood Jeffires, wherever he may be.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Punt returns for TD thing doesn't surprise me. After all, there have only been 53 Super Bowls. This year, six punts have been returned for TDs in 208 games. That's one PRTD for every 35 games. So, there should have been only one punt return for a TD in Super Bowl play so far if we're going with the same ratio.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's always been my theory. Better lineman, better receivers than the opposition. I don't even know an SC qb most would consider having a great career. Carson Palmer probably no. 1.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Ernest Givins
    Curtis Duncan
    Haywood Jeffires
    Drew Hill

What a fun group to watch.

3_Octave_Fart and Neutral Corner like this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They were. Darryl Talley said it was like playing basketball on a football field when you played those guys.
    The Run and Shoot was so charmingly '90s.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What's that mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted