1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greeley (Co.) Tribune lays off sports department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pilot, Dec 3, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If not just warm over a university release.

And now to see which newssider gets pulled off his/her beat to cover this. Seems worthy of coverage.

2. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

As Greeley Tribune reader Christopher Lloyd said, "We'll give you hands-on storytelling and the unique flavor of the local sports scene with our guy who never leaves the office and compiles info from other outlets." Amen to that. And driving Louis Amestoy away was a big mistake.

Liut and MileHigh like this.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Do you think newspaper chains would sell newspapers to the most successful business person in town if they saw value of a paper to a community? Like if Mark Cuban wanted to buy a paper or two to make sure his team gets covered, would the chains sell? It seems to me a paper like Greeley could thrive if not in a chain. It's easy to see some newspapers still have talented sports staffs, but are hindered by horrific companies only out to get the CEO's new vacation homes and private jets.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The most successful business person in town didn't get to be the most successful business person in town by buying newspapers.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Somebody should start a thread on most appalling things they've seen done to reporters by a suit in the newsroom or more horror story threads. I am starting to get upset about treatment of the journalists who have been laid off and will be soon laid off by Gannett/Gatehouse at the first of the year. I know journalism is now considered the worst possible profession to be in for many reasons, but I am appalled by the behavior of the suits and people way at the top. I wonder how the millenials and Gen Z people are handling this treatment.

6. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The version I read -- which had a terrible lede -- mentions there will be a news conference at 3 p.m. Friday.

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I hope the coverage written Friday includes even a quick analysis of the success (or failure) of FCS coaches hired directly out of high school. My recollection is that it invariably fails at the FBS level -- see UNLV now and Notre Dame in the 1980s. I don't know how often it has been tried at the FCS level and what's happened when it did.

8. Situation

Situation Member

Also includes quotes from an interview with the AD, and mention of an attempt to reach out to the new coach for comment.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

How long before the parents of these millenialls start suing or demand to have the publisher fired?

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Thursday was the one-year anniversary of the day I left the paper because I heard through the grapevine that salaried people were being accused of cheating on their hours (working less then 40 but reporting at least 40) by the company. And that came down while I was working a 55-hour week.

Our publisher only came over once a week and acted like one of those "every-day-is-a-sunny-day" people. But I spoke one night with the sports editor of the main paper in the group and I guess she was shitting all over the salaried people accusing them of being lazy and working less than they said. She seemed to have no idea that most sports take place when she's at home with hubby.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I read an interview someplace where the CEO of Gatehouse, Micheel Reed said that the quality of the journalism did not decline when Gatehouse took over. He basically said that a newspaper reporter who writes one story a day is not being productive and should write at least two. Hence a paper can fire lots of reporters, let the survivors write more copy and have the same quality paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted