1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize they're moving to the new stadium next year, but how does UNLV get better candidates than SEC jobs? I think Fresno is a better job than UNLV and even New Mexico has the advantage that you don't have as much competition for sports dollars.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That Aranda even considered UNLV makes me question his smarts. He's the sort of assistant that a number of high end P5's might seriously consider.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You haven't been paying attention to the UNM mess...the school is broke and the athletic department is even more in arrears. So much so that the academic side has put a lien on the athletic side for something like $750K a year, and the athletic side can't even come up with that.

Honestly, the football program is facing an existential crisis. There is a move afoot to sell the stadium to the red-hot local minor league soccer team.

They'll be lucky to get a HS coach to replace Davie.

4. DanOregon

I realize NM doesn't have a Phil Knight or anything - but also I figure a coach with a decent recruiting pipeline for a particular type of player - jucos, overlooked HSers who blossom only in their senior years, - could go 8-4 and a couple of years later land a better gig.

TigerVols likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

They’re a true hot mess.

Son was looking closely at UNM and then they dropped men’s soccer. His academics put him in position for a full ride and the coach was looking for him to walk on.

Because they’re in C-USA for soccer, they had to fly everywhere. Was such a money loser.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Taggart to FAU.
    Addazio to Colorado State.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Boston to the Fort.
    Culture shock for 400 Alex.

Liut likes this.
  9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I told you guys that UNLV was going to be a little more appealing than you thought. They have a $40 million football building that opened last month and they are going to move into the Raiders stadium. I'm not saying Arroyo is going to win big or win at all, but a coach with Pac-12 ties that can recruit out west and hit the transfer portal can get some positive things done there.

11. DanOregon

"We're gonna be Boise State - but in a town that is warm and fun."

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why would Colorado State, which has just built a new stadium, hire a guy who in six years at BC never finished above third in this division. And has never coached west of the state of Indiana?

Draft saved Draft deleted